From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Connection cRIO 9031

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Does anyone know if a cRIO 9031 can be set to read a UDP port? I have set my cRIO as a FPGA and I do not see the UDP Connection function anywhere. I have scoured through and haven't found any examples either.Attached is the imge of the faults. Do I need any additional software installed in Labview. I am using LabView 2015 SP1

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,222 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rcee

Hi Rcee,

It can but not on the FPGA target.

The VI you have created is under the FPGA target in the project tree. These support fewer functions than the Real-Time or Desktop parts that's why you can't find the palettes.

If you create a new VI by right-clicking where it says "Ni-CRIO9031-Test" instead of where it says FPGA and create a new VI then you will create a real-time VI. These can do most things the desktop VIs can including UDP.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 2 of 4
(3,215 Views)

Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response. I followed your suggestion and no more errors. One follow up question. Assuming the UDP connection was allowable in FPGA target, is there a trade off between the FPGA target and Real-time VI?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,207 Views)

In short the FPGA is good for high performance processing although only really if it can be processed point by point. You can't really do a lot with arrays in FPGA. Also as you have seen there is limited support for certain things e.g. no string support, limited floating point support. 

They are also harder to program since things execute differently on an FPGA vs a processor which has to be appreciated. Combined with the fact you have a compile time (30mins - 2hrs typically) you tend to only use them for what you need the performance for! Or for something that uses loads of CPU on the real-time so you can free it up to do other things.

My main uses for them are for pre-processing the inputs (filtering, peak detection, basic alarming) or state machine based logic. Though of course there are others.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,179 Views)