LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART Communication with Microcontroller using Labview & USB 6509

Hello,

I am using Lbview NI-daq drivers to communicate with a PIC via USB-6509 and I have (at least... ) two questions:

- how do you set/turn off the input digital filter in the USB 6509?

- I have tried to understand at what speed the USB-6509 can change the state of a digital line, and to do so I used Labview to write 1-0 on a line.  I put a delay of 10ms in the Labview loop and I looked on the oscilloscope: the square wave meaured on the line the the output of USB 6509 had a timing uncertainty of about 5ms!!! That puts the communication "speed" of USB 6509 to about 200 Hz.... is this all I got for mt $400?

I am a relative novice at all this, so I will not be surprised if I am missing something large....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(1,260 Views)
As the specs state, timing on the 6509 is software based. That means that you are subject to the type of computer, the os, how you wrote your program, etc. A jitter of 5 msec is not at all unexpected on a non-real time OS such as windows and is actually towards the low end of what you might see. While $400 may seem like quite a bit, it's considered low cost. For precise timing and higher rates, you would need to use hardware timed digital I/O. How many lines do you need and what kind of rate? You might want to talk to your local sales engineer about the different options.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(1,252 Views)