LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type definition force update

Is there a way to force LabVIEW to update all instances of a type definition, that is to reload them from the file?

For example, if I need to change the documentation (description or tip strip) of a type def after it has been created and propagated through my application, this (manually initiated) function would force all instances to be reloaded from the *.CTL file. This is a different function than a strict type definition. For a regular type def, if some components were changed to be hidden or disabled, this 1 operation would allow all instances to be updated at once.

Currently, to propagate non-data-type information you must use a strict type def (incomplete functionality, but encompasses the GUI aspects) or manually reload each instance to propagate changes. My understanding is that the WHOLE PURPOSE of a type definition is to prevent the user from manually keeping multiple instances synchronized.

Thanks for any ideas.

Message 1 of 2
(2,998 Views)

Type definition propagates only properties that affect data only. Strict type def propagates and fixes everything. Documentation is appearance, it does not propagate with non-strict typedef.

I usually open typedef, make GUI changes, change type to strict, apply changes, change back to non-strict, save, close.

Message 2 of 2
(2,953 Views)