LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Showstopper Bugs, and on minor one, in Windows 10

I fully realize that LabVIEW is not yet supported in Windows 10. However, it should be soon and it would be nice if the following issues were addressed:

1. When LabVIEW is running, my computer sometimes completely locks when I am moving the mouse cursor. At this point, I have to reboot. I do have a somewhat unusual mouse setup. I have two rodents, a Logitech G5 and a Logitech Marble Mouse. I use both. Note that I used a similar two-device setup in Windows 7 for many years with no such issues.
  2. When using the FPGA module, you cannot configure DSPs using the Xilinx IP nodes. For example, if I want to use a Multiply/Adder, I drop the node, the dialog comes up, I click Configure Xilinx IP, something happens, but the Xilinx config dialog never comes up.
  3. This has been mentioned elsewhere, but it bears repeating. Several elements of the icon editor do not work correctly. In particular, the editor loses parts of its state between uses. I know I can fix some of this by running LabVIEW as an Administrator, but that needs to be fixed.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,611 Views)

@DGrayStratasys wrote:

I fully realize that LabVIEW is not yet supported in Windows 10. However, it should be soon and it would be nice if the following issues were addressed:

1. When LabVIEW is running, my computer sometimes completely locks when I am moving the mouse cursor. At this point, I have to reboot. I do have a somewhat unusual mouse setup. I have two rodents, a Logitech G5 and a Logitech Marble Mouse. I use both. Note that I used a similar two-device setup in Windows 7 for many years with no such issues.

Wow!  Do you use both mice when developing LabVIEW, or when running LabVIEW code?  I can easily see how Windows could "get confused" and do weird things -- I position Mouse 1, and click Mouse 2, what happens?  I would think, analogous to the way you have dual displays and you designate a VI to appear on one Display or the other, you'd maybe want such functionality with mice.  [And if you can have dual mice, can you have dual keyboards?].

I'd also be curious how the Direct Input functions (found on the Input Device Control Palette, used for Joysticks) deal with dual KB and rodents.  Query Input should, in principle, return as many Keyboards and Mice as you have on your system (except that this NI function doesn't seem to fully enumerate all the Direct Input devices, something I've noted and have as a "Please Fix This" in the Ideas Exchange).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,597 Views)

@DGrayStratasys wrote:

I fully realize that LabVIEW is not yet supported in Windows 10.

What version of LabVIEW are you using?

LabVIEW 2015 is fully supported on Windows 10.  Try updating to 2015 and see if you still have these issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,596 Views)

Too early in the morning. I am using the latest version of LabVIEW - version  15.0.1f1, with all modules (RT and FPGA) fully patched.

I did not think 2015 supported Windows 10, since it released before Windows 10. I don't remember the SP1 release notes claiming Windows 10 compatibility. But, the official matrix does say it supports it. So the above turn into simply bugs that need to be fixed.  Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,585 Views)

Multiple mice works fine, also in older versions of Windows.  All movements of any of the mice gets send to the same command queue.  You can really annoy your co-workers be plugging a second mouse into the back of their PC and wiggling it around at random times during the day.  Smiley Very Happy

Where things might get weird is if you mix relative and absolute pointing devices.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,581 Views)

I use the input devices in a serial fashion. Most input is done with the Marble Mouse, which I have on the left side and configured for left hand due to RSI issues with my right hand. The G5 is used for those few things that a mouse is better for and for visitors who freak with a left-handed trackball. If you try to use them both at once, you get a serialized version of both. Since both are relative moves, it is "interesting." Windows has supported multiple pointing devices for quite awhile, now.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,580 Views)

In my experience, multiple pointers work just fine, or as fine as a "two headed giant" approach can work. Windows treats them as a single entity and considers any and all commands equal, regardless of source, exactly the same as using the machine as a remote terminal (think dameware remote control). At least in 7, LV fires mouse-related events pretty well, regardless of source (mouse 1, mouse 2 or remote machine). I try to stay clear from 10 despite Microsoft's multiple, persistent and obnoxious attempts to "totally not coerce" me into upgrading to 10 (thinking "want to update right now or tonight?") precisely due to new OS tendencies to break stuff that works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,562 Views)

@DGrayStratasys wrote:

Too early in the morning. I am using the latest version of LabVIEW - version  15.0.1f1, with all modules (RT and FPGA) fully patched.

One of your problems is obviously due to the Xilinx FPGA tools. they are NOT supported in Windows 10. (details). NI cannot do anything about this directly, but the 2015 FPGA module is compatible otherwise.

(I am using an FPGA compile server running on a Windows 7 virtual machine and that seems to solve all my problems. NI also offers a cloud compile service)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,543 Views)

I am aware of the Xilinx issue. However, I have no problems actually compiling the FPGA, just configuring the DSP blocks. Fortunately, my Win10 machine is my personal, work-from-home machine. My work machine still uses Win7, and compiles about twice as fast as the NI server.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,528 Views)

UPDATE - the mouse issue appears to have been a Windows 10 bug. Until considerably after the initial post, I had never seen it happen except when I was using LabVIEW. It happened once outside LabVIEW since then, and has not recurred since the Windows 10 Anniversary update.

I have updated to LabVIEW 2016. Unfortunately, Xilinx has not fixed their code, so any of their IP dialogs still do not work.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,272 Views)