LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two LabVIEW problems on OpenSUSE 11.0 and Mandriva KDE4

I would not post this here if I had found a solution after extensive googling. Indeed I am surprised I could not find anyone else apparently had the same problems.

I have managed to setup LabVIEW for Linux 8.6 on an OpenSUSE 11.0 Gnome desktop (Dell Optiplex) and a Mandriva 2009.1 KDE4 laptop (Fujitsu). LabVIEW runs reasonably well in both cases, including VISA and drivers.

The problems I have are:

1. On OpenSUSE 11.0 --> the keyboard input often gets "blocked", mostly when working on LV block diagram but sometimes on the front panel as well. I simply cannot input anything into LV from keyboard when this happens, while the keyboard works normally for other applications. I have tried to unplug and replug, change keyboard, etc. The only thing that seems to work *sometimes* is changing to front panel (or block diagram if I am on the front panel) by using the mouse, double-click on an empty region and start typing. This will cause only one character to appear and after that the "label" will be terminated as if Enter key was pressed. By doing this I can normally get the keyboard back, but other times I found no better choice than restarting LabVIEW. Thishappens quite often but haven't figured out how to trigger it.
  2. On Mandriva 2009.1 KDE4 --> this problem is definitely a more serious one, making LV almost unusable for anything else than basic editing. While the front panel looks and works normally, the block diagram quickly gets full of "graphical garbage" whenever moving the mouse over it or editing it. The garbage goes away only by "refreshing" the panel, that is, scrolling the block diagram all the way back and forth, but readily comes back. I had a similar problem when using LV on Ubuntu Gnome (well, Ubuntu is not supported...)but even there it wasn't as serious as this. I suspect the problem could be related to wrong fonts (some forums talk about this but their problems are more about aesthetics of the words), or display card drivers. Using LV on the same laptop with OpenSUSE does not show the same problem (though it has other issues), I guess I should try installing Gnome on Mandriva (or perhaps KDE3?) or randomly add/remove fonts or packages related to the graphical environment. I would be glad if anyone could provide any hint that could save me some time.
Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,879 Views)

Really nobody has a clue on how to solve problem 2 above? I went as far as installing OpenSUSE 11.0 on my laptop as well, beside Mandriva, in order to be able to run labview on my laptop. It didn't go too well there either, stuck with NIKAL kernel module loading problem, with exact same distribution (11.0) and kernel (2.6.25.20-0.7-default) which works fine on my desktop. As I have spent considerable amount of time trying to fix the NIKAL problem before (I succeeded in Mandriva, never did in OpenSUSE) I think I will just forget about it this time.

So a clue on how to fix that annoying problem on Mandriva would still be appreciated 🙂 Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,804 Views)

Hi

I know it is too late to give a solution but in case someone in the future who may face the problem and may stumble upon this post like I did, may find the solution to problem 1.

@mm22 wrote:

I would not post this here if I had found a solution after extensive googling. Indeed I am surprised I could not find anyone else apparently had the same problems.

I have managed to setup LabVIEW for Linux 8.6 on an OpenSUSE 11.0 Gnome desktop (Dell Optiplex) and a Mandriva 2009.1 KDE4 laptop (Fujitsu). LabVIEW runs reasonably well in both cases, including VISA and drivers.

The problems I have are:

1. On OpenSUSE 11.0 --> the keyboard input often gets "blocked", mostly when working on LV block diagram but sometimes on the front panel as well. I simply cannot input anything into LV from keyboard when this happens, while the keyboard works normally for other applications. I have tried to unplug and replug, change keyboard, etc. The only thing that seems to work *sometimes* is changing to front panel (or block diagram if I am on the front panel) by using the mouse, double-click on an empty region and start typing. This will cause only one character to appear and after that the "label" will be terminated as if Enter key was pressed. By doing this I can normally get the keyboard back, but other times I found no better choice than restarting LabVIEW. Thishappens quite often but haven't figured out how to trigger it.

I am using  Labview 8 on Open Suse 10.3. Even I was facing a similar problem and it occurred after installing some international font, A new application SKIM was started in the startup. After i quit this application the problem was resolved.

Regards

Javed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,547 Views)