LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorial to Create Custom Graphical LabVIEW Controls in Qt

I'm looking for a very simple and basic tutorial for complete beginners to create a custom graphical LabVIEW control in Qt (C++), including how to import it into LabVIEW. I'm new to LabVIEW, I'm new to Qt, and I'm also new to C++ (but I am very comfortable with Visual Studio, PHP, C#, VB, .NET, SQL, CSS, XML, HTML and Javascript as though any of that matters). I have been able to create a simple control (both as an EXE and also as a DLL) in C#.NET in Visual Studio and import it into LabVIEW via a .NET Container, but I have been unable to do anything similar with Qt. Ideally, the Qt control will not need the .NET framework at all.

Any help or guidance you can offer will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,133 Views)

I don't think you can do that. LV can use .NET controls because .NET has a well defined API for that and LV has a special container which can use that API. I know nothing about Qt, but even if does have such an API, LV would not have support for it. Even the .NET integration in LV doesn't feel very natural and that's been around for a decade.

LV itself allows you to perform control customization on its own, but my limited experience with modern IDEs (as well as what I hear from others who have less limited experience) is that LV is considerably behind the curve on this front. I know that NI is aware of the issue, but I don't know how long it will be before they manage to catch up. Depending on your needs, I would consider simply doing the whole control in LV, but that might be a problem for a beginner, depending on how complicated it is.

(3,092 Views)