LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off "VI cannot save at this time, Your changes will be retained in memory" prompt

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, 

On my computer, everytime I close a dynamic VI I get the message "VI cannot save at this time, Your changes will be retained in memory. You will have opportunity to save the changes when it is safe". I need to hit OK for it to close.

However, on my college computer, there is no such prompt and those dynamic VI will close without prompts. I suspect there is a settings in Labview but I couldn't find it. Can you help ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,048 Views)

Not sure about the problem, Please check the version of LabVIEW which you and your colleague using. Also check in tools-> options any setting difference between the two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,014 Views)
That is strange. I have never, ever seen a message that said that. My immediate reaction is that this is not about option settings.

What version of LabVIEW are we talking about here? How are you opening and closing these dynamic VIs? Are the VIs reentrant? What are these VIs doing? Can you post some code?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,004 Views)

Hello PalanivelT and MikePorter, 

I am using Labview 2015 and my college is using 2013. The prompts were coming from dynamic VIs that spawned from a Template VI. It's the same code that was cloned from our version control. This could be 2015 "new" thing but it's strange that I haven't seen anyone reported this as annoying.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,978 Views)
You meant to say codes are placed in any source controller.(ClearCase or SVN)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,966 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zigbee1
Ohhhhh... I think I see what is happening. You are doing dynamic VIs wrong - or at least wrong now. The way you are talking about is what we had to do before NI got real reentrancy working. The correct way now is to create the "template" as a reentrant VI and spawn off clones through asynchronous calls.

The reason that you are likely seeing the message is that the VIT was created in 2013 so when you create a copy it is in 2015, so LabVIEW thinks that it needs to be saved.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,952 Views)

Hello Mike, 

Your explanation is spot on. When I checked the .vit files, indeed they were 2013 source version, I simply hit Save to convert them to 2015 source version and wholah, no more prompts !

Thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,937 Views)
You're welcome, but you really need to look into converting the code to using the current best technique.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,910 Views)

Hi Mike,

Would you be able to refer to App notes that recommends "best techniques for calling VIs dynamically" ? Why would you say spawing clones from .vit is not recommended ?

I found this note: 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/98847B4E4C715E6D86256C59006B57CC

and my impression is that all these methods are up to preferences.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,882 Views)
Note the dates on that document, it was last updated 7 years ago and was originally written 12 years ago. Current KB articles I can't quote "chapter and verse", but what I described (and which 3/4 of that article spent describing) is the easiest and best way to go. It also isn't based on a quirk of behavior that could change at any point in the future.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,863 Views)