LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get back into Labview - Where do I begin?

Hi all

I use to work in the Automotive Industry in the UK last year. I been a QA Tester for over five years with an ISTQB certificate as well.

Towards the end of my last months working there, they told me they were going to let some people go which included me unfortunatly. However, I asked my manager if I can learn about Automation and he said I could work with the Automation guys. Lo and behold, they used Labview. The Labview staff I briefly worked with were really nice and I just wished I could have stayed there much longer.

However, the problem was I wasnt given enough time to grasp the general knowledge of Labview. But from what I can gather from the situation at my workplace without giving out too much information about the company I worked for, for Automation they used a camera to compare all previous test of the screen. So for instance, it could tell if the speed of the screen was slower and had misalign borders around the screen from previous results. And he also had a standard excel spreadsheet for running tests.

What areas of Labview does everyone think they cover? Its something I want to try and match at home if possible.

When I left my last work place, I was advised by the Labview engineer I worked with who told me I should learn a coding Language. He said it could be anything live Java, Ruby etc. I am doing some Java coding whislt job hunting and I did some Ruby coding years ago but I might need a refreasher.

I am not sure how all this fits in with Labview but as you can tell, I am coming at Junior level hoping to learn more. I really need some advise on what I should do. I feel clueless on what I did at my last work place and I want to better my understanding. I was looking at taking up one of the Labview certs but how did everyone else landed a job with using Labview equipment.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,826 Views)

A great way to learn would be to go over to the LabVIEW makerhub. You can buy LabVIEW home edition for about $50 or even a hardware bundle for not much more.

Do tutorials, look at the shipping examples and templates, then keep coming back to the forum for ideas and feedback.

Message 2 of 6
(3,811 Views)

There are two aspects of LabVIEW -- the technical "How-to" mechanics of the language (how to put functions-as-pictures down on the "block diagram", how to put inputs and outputs as Controls and Indicators on the Front Page, how Wires work) and the notion of LabVIEW Style, how to create code that is readable, understandable, maintainable, etc.  As you might imagine (particularly for someone who knows something about programming), the second part is more challenging (unless you have some good mentors).

I recommend you purchase Peter Blume's "The LabVIEW Style Book".  When I started in LabVIEW (with a background in several other languages), I read this book cover-to-cover about 4 times, and learned a lot (that I continue to practice and to teach).  I keep bugging Peter to do another Edition, but the basics outlined in his book haven't really changed that much.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- follow Altenbach's suggestion first, and take advantage of the Tutorial materials available here and on the Web.  Use Blume for "polish" and Style.

Message 3 of 6
(3,807 Views)
First and foremost congratulations for your interest...
Lot of labview tutorials will help you to learn basics of LabVIEW

Apart from reading it's always better to practice real time, so create an requirement in mind and try to find solution using LabVIEW which will ask make you to search unknown things
Even you can ask your doubts in forum, so its always better to practice along with reading books.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 6
(3,774 Views)

Thanks you soo much for the responses and information everyone. I really appreciate it.

I have gone through all of the LabView Makerhub videos and its proven very insightful and given me a foundation grasp of Labview but I know theres more to LabView then this. What is shipping in LabView? As I have tried to google the topic but I seemed even more confused about it.

Aside from the excellent advise I have been given, what else can I do to make myself more accetable from employees to take me on? Is it advisable to take up a Certification? Whats heartbreaking is, I am getting calls for LabView work from genuine work agencys who want me to be put forward for the role. But I am always honest with my all my work experience and most never put me forward because of my lack of experience.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,698 Views)

Aside from the excellent advise I have been given, what else can I do to make myself more accetable from employees to take me on? Is it advisable to take up a Certification?

Its always good recommmended to take certification to make yourself confident and it also adds value to your professional career

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201888

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,654 Views)