From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with network published shared variables

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings,

I am having trouble getting the data over the network.  I can see that the data is going correctly to the publisher SV but the client (read) variable has an empty string.  I do not get any errors and I also checked that the IP addresses in the alias files are to each corresponding machine they are deployed on.  One final note is that both pieces of code are in vi form none are yet exes. Do I have to tell the publisher PC that I want to share the data to the subscribers specific IP address?  Please tell me what I am missing.  I have used shared variables between machines before but not through a server.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,206 Views)

Update...I think I found an issue.  When going through the process as described in http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7815BCE435DCC432862575DA006FEBF8 ; I ran into trouble in the "bind to" portion of the instructions.  The publish PC and its SVL does not show up under the browse.  Only my PC does which is currently the subscriber.  Any idea why or how to fix this.  If I can not bind to publisher then that explains why I get an empty string.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,181 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author teslac

Look at the register computer option in the LV menus.

Message 3 of 4
(2,158 Views)

RE:  That did the trick but, will I have to register every computer that will use this shared variable?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,134 Views)