LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with SR830 autogain (-1073807339)

I am using the Labview driver for Stanford Research 830 Lock-in Amplifier from NI.com.

If set a specific Sensitivity, say 10uV/pA, the example program works fine;

If set the Sensitivity to "Autogain", an error message (-1073807339) occurs at "Stanford Research 830.lvlib:configure sensitivity and reserve.vi"; and the "Read.vi" won't read. 

Windows XP + Labview 8.5 PDS

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. 

Leibo

leding
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,834 Views)

This error is associated with a VISA Timeout. Without much experience with that instrument, I have a couple of suggestions:

- Try to increase the VISA timeout value.

- Try to read the status (either check for errors or read the sensitivity value back to confirm) before starting the Read

If you can post the manual for the device and your code, then we can look more into it.

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,811 Views)

Hi Peter, I increased the VISA timeout value to 10 seconds, now it seems to work.  I think when I set to autogain, the machine is trying to make the measurement under different sensitivity, to determine which sensitivity is the best, and it might take time more than 2 seconds. 

Manual:

http://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/PDFs/Manuals/SR830m.pdf

The code I used is the instrument driver directly from NI.com; I just ran the example by setting the sensitivity to autogain + low noise for reserve; other settings are not critical. 

Thank you for your help. 

Leibo

leding
Message 3 of 17
(6,775 Views)
Glad it is working, thanks for sharing!
---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,762 Views)

Hi

I've had the same problem with the SRS830; and the timeout can be troublesome especially at low frequencies. Increase that to 30 sec if low frequencies with APHAS command are used.

regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,760 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Sincerely,

Leibo

leding
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(6,749 Views)

Dear All, I would like to use labview to program the SR830. As the resonance frequency of my device changes if a parameter changes I need that the SR830 is finding everytime the new resonance frequency. Do you think this can be done programming the SR830? If you know of program available that can suite my request, please, let me know. thanks a lot

Message Edited by ElinaIervolino on 10-27-2009 10:51 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(6,697 Views)

You probably use the external reference signal, and most likely this external reference signal is from a chopper, which is my case; if things are like this, you only need to control the chopping frequency according to the resonance frequency--it almost has nothing to do with the SR830 (if you can limit the chopping frequency); now the question is how do you detect the resonance frequency, once you get the resonance frequency, use it as a parameter in a function to control the chopping frequency; by the way, I don't think SR830 can detect the resonance frequency, or I just don't understand your applications. 

Good luck!

Leibo

leding
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(6,679 Views)

My device is a MEMS cantilever with thermal activators and a Wheatstone bridge to read out its resonance frequency. I use the internal reference signal of the SR830 to activate the resonators and I use the output of the Wheatstone bridge to detect its resonance. My idea was that with the SR830 I measure the output of the Wheatstone bridge in a set range of frequencies and then the resonance frequency of the resonatore is the one at which the output of the Wheatstone bridge is higher. I  did already this measurement manually, now I want to do with Labview ana I do not know if can be done also because I tried to comunicate with the SR830 and I got an error : -1073807339 (?). I hope I can do something about it

thanks a lot 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(6,672 Views)
For the error message, just use the VISA time-out link from Peter's message, or http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E4F90AD24DEC9CC786256F4300605C02?OpenDocument, and http://www.ni.com/support/labview/visa/verr2.htm.  To be specific, open the initialize.vi, add a VISA Set Time-out property node between VISA Open and VISA Clear, and set the timeout value as long as possible (according to your application).  I could not give you further suggestion, since I don't understand your application.  But the example VIs from NI.com might give you some idea how to create your own, that is what I always do.  Good luck.  --Leibo
leding
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(6,640 Views)