From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with EOI/termination using GPIB

I have a device (Ophir Laserstar Powermeter) that has a continuous data send mode whereby data is sent at regular intervals. Unfortunately, two of the characters sent are LF's. For normal operation, VISA reads terminate on LF's regardless of the size of the requested string. I'm trying to suppress this behaviour. I have tried by setting the VISA property "Termination Character Enable" to False as well as "Send End Enable" to False. Neither of these seem to alter the termination after the first LF. Subsequent VISA Reads seem to truncate old data (most of the time). Is there another property that I can force to off so I can actually get both lines of data in a single read (the number of bytes is always 26).
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,645 Views)
Hello,

The "termination character enable" being set to false should prevent VISA reads from stopping just because they hit a linefeed. One thing you mentioned in your subject but not in your body was the EOI line--do you know if the EOI line is being asserted anywhere in the transfer from your power meter? Where does the EOI occur? Just at bit 26, or somewhere else as well? The EOI is probably going to be the thing that truncates your reads; check with the manufacturer of the device to see if you can disable this.

If you need more asssistance, be sure to include your version numbers of VISA and of NI-488.2.

Thanks,
Scott B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,645 Views)