From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble converting Build Specs to 2015... again ....

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else has seen issues when updating projects to 2015 (in my case from 2013)....

The first issue I saw was this. It quite magically disappeared by re-creating the the BuildSpec. Since it was a simple one, it didn't bother and filed the case as "S... happens"

Yesterday I stumbled over a (maybe related) issue: the application works fine from the runtime enviroment but throws errors when build into an .exe.

The build runs without any errors.

StripPath.png

Long story short.... the dialog box pops up, showing the complete executable path including the Name of the exe.. which should be removed according to the code along with a further file structure level.

This makes me feel uncomfotable and distrusfull. I can not rely on the code being produced Smiley Frustrated

Recreating the build script is not an option at the moment since it is very complex.....

So...has anybody seen anything like this before?

Cheers

Oli

BTW 15.0.1f1 @32Bit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,821 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Oli_Wachno

@Oli_Wachno wrote:
StripPath.png

...including the Name of the exe.. which should be removed according to the code along with a further file structure level.

Why? Your code takes the VI's path and strips twice. The result will depend on exactly where the VI is inside the EXE. If your build spec has the 8.x flag set, the VI will be right under the EXE. Otherwise, its exact location will depend on the hierarchy of your VIs, because VIs are saved with their original relative locations inside the EXE.

I'm guessing what you should actually use is the Application Directory VI, which returns the folder of the EXE regardless of which VI calls it.

I suppose it's possible your 2013 project had the 8.x flag set and 2015 reset it for some reason, but that doesn't seem likely.

Hi tst,

thanks for your feedback.

Starting with the easier stuff: neither the 2013 nor the 2015 build spec have the 8.6x flag disabled.

Thanks for leading me into the right direction, missed the fact, that the woning library also shows up in the VI Path. So I'd need a third Strip Path.... or change over to the application folder as you suggested.

The only thing that makes me wonder that it is still working using 2013.... but I'll investigate

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,790 Views)
The basic rule I use is if I am looking to locate a non-LabVIEW file I start with the Application Path node. If I am looking for a LabVIEW file I start with the current VI's path.

Also remember that (as in your 2013 code) good s... happens sometimes.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,776 Views)