From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering a camera using LabView

Hey,

I have a device that I'm moving using two servos. I'm controlling the motion using LabView. I want to capture the images of the device using MotionPro X3 high-speed camera (To track the position etc). So I need to synchronize the camera trigger and the motion using LabView. The software that comes with the camera (Motion Pro Studio) has the ability to allow the camera to be triggered using an external source. So I generated an analog signal using labview, and I connected a BNC cable from the analog output on the DAQ board to the camera. The camera needs at least 3V so it gets triggered, so I created a point-slider in labview, to increase the voltage from 0V to at least 3V.  I got this part to work.

So now I'm trying to combine the camera control code with the motion control code. In the motion control VI, when I hit "Run" the device starts to move, but data (Position, forces etc) is only saved when I hit "Save Data". What I want to do is to trigger the camera when I hit "Save Data", and not when I run the program. Is there a way to increase the voltage from 0 to 3V when I hit the "Save Data" switch?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it if you could help me as soon as possible. This is driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,823 Views)

Anyone, please?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,789 Views)

Hi FirasOSU

If possible, please post what kind of software you have available to work with and the specific hardware. The information I am posting is assuming you are working with one of our data acquisition boards which work with our NI-DAQmx driver.

There are several ways you can trigger the camera from a DAQ board depending on the model. I would recommend that you refer to the following knowledge base/white paper regarding tips and techniques for triggering with a data acquisition board and NI-DAQmx VIs

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4329/en/

Here you will find information regarding options for triggering with our data acquisition boards using LabVIEW and sample code you can use to add triggering functionality to your code.

Also depending on your camera ports and if you have access to our vision tools that can be added to LabVIEW (Vision Development Module), then you can use the following example code to trigger your camera acquisition.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-9112

Best of luck with your project!

Luis S
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,759 Views)

Hi All ,

I have a Pulnix 6470 CL camera , I have attached that using a PCI NI1498 card and also installed NIMAQ driver. In NI - MAX, its showing NI-PCI, under that its showing channel 0, with camera name Cohu7700cl.

I dont know how to take images from it and how to control using lab view.

I am also not sure if I still need to download any further IVI driver to run that camera or not.

If anyone could help me in this regard

Thanks and Regards

Ashish  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,438 Views)

Hi!

You can start by using one of the built in examples. Go to LabVIEW » tools » Find examples and use the "hardware" filter to find examples specific to your PCI card. 

Finding Examples for LabVIEW
http://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/examples

Best regards,

Daniel C.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,417 Views)

Hey, did you figure out a solution, I am stuck at a similar issue currently and could definitely use some help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,172 Views)

ZeUs87,

This is a pretty old thread, so you may get a better response by creating a new one. What problem specifically are you running into?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,164 Views)