From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering Ni-5422 waveform generator using backplane pxi triggers

I am creating an FPGA project in LABView to receive incoming radar signals. The program is to run continously and detect specific incoming chirp signals. After a signal is detected, a return chirp signal is to be sent back using a ni pxi 5422 arbitrary waveform generator and reset back, ready to receive.

Equipment I am using:

Ni-PXIe 1071 chassis

Ni-PXIe 8102 controller

Ni-PXIe 7966R FPGA

Ni-5761R Digitizer

Ni-5422 Arbitrary waveform generator

What I am confused about is communicating the FPGA and the waveform generator using the backplane triggers of the chassis. I want to send a trigger when the incoming signal is detected. I am generating the waveform in the Ni FGEN express palette and would like to trigger the waveform using PXI_trig<0...8> or PXI star trigger (I'm not sure which is better). The waveform generation will be in the host VI while the detection will be in the target VI. Any thoughts?

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,054 Views)

Hi Patrick,

You should be able to access the trigger lines from your FPGA module. Once you see the trigger lines under your FPGA target you can drag the line to the block diagram. Once on the block diagram you should be able to write either a True (Digital 1) or False (Digital 0). That should toggle the trigger line either high or low which could then be used to trigger your FGEN. I hope this helps and if you need more clarification please let me know.

Patrick H | National Instruments | Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,020 Views)