LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent Scatter Plot

I have a large set of overlapping data in a scatterplot that I need to display. I am currently using as XY graph but I cannot get the markers to be transparent. The reason I am trying to display the data this way is to get a feel for the density. Is there any way to do this?

Opaque

Opaque.PNG

Transparent

Transparent.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,658 Views)

Not directly, but one way I've done something similar is to construct a heat map and place it in the graph's PlotImage.Back.  In this demo, I use a 2D Gaussian of a given size as the point representation, but you could use any array you wish, along with a different colormap.  A little more difficult to overlay multiple datasets, but it might give you some ideas.

HeatMapDemo.png

Message 2 of 7
(3,630 Views)

Another option may be to use the 3D Scatter Graph from the Modern graph palette.  I find the 3D graphs somewhat difficult to configure correctly, but it does give the option of semi-transparent points, as well as multiple plots and colors.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,609 Views)

Thank you Greg

I've never seen the heat graph before, it is very cool and I'll be using it in the future for other projects. I've tried the 3d plot, as you suggested, but I have too many data points so it runs slow. I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and use a picture control to graph the data.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,594 Views)

is there any way you can post the VI for this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,543 Views)

The image is the VI.  Learn how to use VI snippets - http://www.ni.com/tutorial/9330/en/

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,534 Views)

Hi arob,

it's a snippet above!

Download it from the image viewer, then move it into your block diagram.

(Read the LabVIEW help on "snippets"!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,532 Views)