From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx

Solved!
Go to solution

I am a LabVIEW Neophyte.  I have inherited a LabVIEW project from a previous employee long gone from the company I work for.  The project was written using Traditional NI-DAQ and I need to update it to NI-DAQmx so that it will be 64-Bit compatible.  I of course ran into trouble with the very first VI that I am trying to upgrade.

This VI was built with LabVIEW 2011 SP1 and I need to replace the AI Config, AI Start, AI Read, Channel to Index, AI Control, and AI Clear VIs with their NI-DAQmx equivalents.  Upgrading it to LabVIEW 2013 SP1 is possible if that makes things easier.

Now here is the tricky part.  I want to keep the terminals on this VI the same if possible.  This VI is used in several places and in a few different programs and I want to make the change as minimally invasive as possible.  If possible I want the changes to be made only inside this VI.

I am looking for any help and or advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,806 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author The_Prisoner(No.6)

First,  Abandon all hope of keeping the connector panes identical.  It is possible but, foolish to attempt. (Just trust me OK?)

Read these Knowledge base articles

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3021/en/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4342/en/

What you are attempting requires skill usually not developed in a LabVIEW neophite. (And you are starting with "Spaghetti" code- This will not be "Fun") Do audit a training course and get to know your local NI rep.  Odds are a few pointers from a local expert will point you away from some serious mistakes.  

Take Care

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,765 Views)

I completely agree with Jeff.  I also "inherited" a LabVIEW 7 Real-Time "mess" using legacy DAQ, and spent several years trying to learn "how to".  I eventually abandoned trying to "modernize" this code, started over with LabVIEW 2010 and DAQmx, and never looked back.

There's a wonderful paper (in addition to the two Jeff mentioned) called something like "Ten Functions that do 90% if the work in DAQmx" (of course, I've got a copy somewhere on my desk at work, but couldn't find it just now doing a Web search ...).  It really does show you how easy "doing it the modern NI Way" can be (especially compared to Legacy DAQ).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,718 Views)

Thank you for your replies.  Jeff your post especially gave us a good laugh around the office.  I will definitely take a good look at the articles that you mentioned.  The good news is that I am not under time constraints with this upgrade.  Hopefully as I go along it will become easier for me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,694 Views)

I managed to complete the upgrade.  The links that you provided Jeff were extremely helpful.  I have attached my solution here in hopes that in the future someone may benefit from seeing the before and after results.

Message 5 of 5
(2,560 Views)