From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Control a Power Supply via LabVIEW

Hi,

I am really in the beginning of the learning LabvIEW. I am trying to control a power supply( Ametek XG 
1500 ) via LabVIEW through USB cable. I have goggled several websites, but still do not have a clear idea 
of how to implement such task. I downloaded COM drivers from www.programmablepower.com. Then, device and 
my computer see the USB cable, but I do not have exact clue to make a good program to control power 
supply.

I tried to make a program with NI-VISA with SCPI commands. Actually, I am not sure to write true 
commands and I can not see the voltage or current value on the front panel. I have never write a program 
to control any electronic device. Maybe, I can not see the basic step or not.

Firstly, I want to write a program which makes power on/off to the power supply. I do not know where 
should I begin. Please any of you give me an offer to do this task.

Thank you.

Deniz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,797 Views)

You can use the relay for turning PS on / off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
Message 2 of 7
(5,775 Views)

There is of course, the IVI driver.

I don't understand at all why you would install a different com port driver than the one that comes from Ametek/Sorenesen. In any case, I did not use the IVI driver. I simply created my own using Tools>Instrumentation>Create Instrument Driver Project. Pretty simple for me - I did a basic driver in less than a day. I would suggest you look over the instrument driver tutorial (on main idnet page). The commands are well documented in the manual. Be sure to get the termination characters correct. I can't provide the code I wrote as it was for a customer but if you post what you have written with details on errors you get etc, I'll try to help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,745 Views)

Hi Dennis

I have relevant question too.

I got stuff to work in NI-MAX using Visa Test Panel, i.e.

successfully querying commands like

*IDN?\r
*ADR\s8\r
OUTP:POW:STAT\sON\r
OUTP:POW:STAT\sOFF\r

BUT

when I try to use same commands in LabVIEW using VISA blocks nothing happens. No error - nothing.

Any idea?

Thanks,

A.

P.S. I'm using Ametek XG300-5.6 one

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,121 Views)
I can't look at your VI bit I'm going to guess that you haven't set the string control/constant to '\' Codes Display.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,110 Views)

And of course Dennis is correct.  They end in \r, bu the constants are in normal display mode, which means the are being sent as a literal backslash and "r".

Also, the *RST command is missing any attempt at a termination character.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,093 Views)

That was indeed the cause. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,034 Views)