LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing

Solved!
Go to solution

So I know this is simple but I'm blanking. I want to be able to run part of my code before another part. And when the first part ends, the second starts.

How do I do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,950 Views)
Simple data flow. If subVIs, the error in/out connections determine execution order. A basic state machine could be used. Try to avoid the flat sequence structure and absolutely don't use the stacked sequence structure.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neil_Helsel

1... Put both functions into subVIs with some wire between them.

2... Use the stacked sequence structure, or the flat sequence structure.  One frame will complete before the next.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,902 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

1... Put both functions into subVIs with some wire between them.

2... Use the stacked sequence structure, or the flat sequence structure.  One frame will complete before the next.

Since you are a novice LabVIEW user - and I mean the OP and NOT YOU, CoastalMaineBird 😉 - you should avoid #2 until you completely understand why #1 works.  Your question is THE FIRST THING that you learn in any formal LabVIEW training.

I suggest going here for some links to some excellent tutorials.  The links are at the bottom of the page.

(IMHO you should just avoid 2a completely, but some people find the stacked sequence structure useful.  Most people find it dreadfully diffcult to understand how all the frames fit together.  The case structure has hidden frames, too - as does the event structure - but in each of those cases, you don't have to know what's in the hidden frames to understand what is going on in the visible one.  With the stacked sequence structure, you have to have a very good memory - or a printout of the other frames in the sequence - to understand what exactly is happening from frame to frame.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,874 Views)