LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time delay in boolean

Hi Ni Experts,

I have simple questions:

1. How can I put a time delay into a BOOLEAN logic function? E.g. I want to have a LED operation using a two input And gate. I want the first input connected to a toggle switch and I want a second input as such that it can cause a delay before the LED can light up when the toggle switch is ON. 

2. Using the above example; Let say once I have the LED in the ON state, I want the output signal to go back and reset the toggle switch (in the control panel) i.e. to OFF. 

3. Sub VI: I created a sub VI on the blockdiagram using the edit icon but on the front panel can I create another equivalent symbol to repsent the same icon in the block diagram? 

Appreciate your comments and ideas.

Regards,

NKR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,524 Views)

@nkrajoo wrote:

1. How can I put a time delay into a BOOLEAN logic function? E.g. I want to have a LED operation using a two input And gate. I want the first input connected to a toggle switch and I want a second input as such that it can cause a delay before the LED can light up when the toggle switch is ON. 

You don't need two inputs. Why not simply delay the first input?

nkrajoo wrote:

2. Using the above example; Let say once I have the LED in the ON state, I want the output signal to go back and reset the toggle switch (in the control panel) i.e. to OFF. 

You can change the mechanical action of the switch to e.g. "latch when released".

nkrajoo wrote:

3. Sub VI: I created a sub VI on the blockdiagram using the edit icon but on the front panel can I create another equivalent symbol to repsent the same icon in the block diagram? 

It is very difficult to understand what you are saying here. The icon editor lets you edit the icon of a subVI, you cannot create a subVI with it. What is a "symbol"? Equivalent to what, and it what sense? SubVIs live on the diagram, they have no business on the front panel.

I recommend you start with a few tutorials.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,506 Views)

@nkrajoo wrote:

You don't need two inputs. Why not simply delay the first input?

How to delay it?  

nkrajoo wrote:

You can change the mechanical action of the switch to e.g. "latch when released".

Are you saying that Labview cannot use back the signal to reset the switch status?
@nkrajoo wrote:

It is very difficult to understand what you are saying here. The icon editor lets you edit the icon of a subVI, you cannot create a subVI with it. What is a "symbol"? Equivalent to what, and it what sense? SubVIs live on the diagram, they have no business on the front panel.

I recommend you start with a few tutorials.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,491 Views)

nkrajoo wrote: How to delay it?

There are many ways to do it. What have you tried so far? Tell us a little more about your application.

nkrajoo wrote: Are you saying that Labview cannot use back the signal to reset the switch status?

Of course LabVIEW can do everything you want. It is a full featured programming environment!

A latch action switch will reset automatically after it has been read once by the code, so that is often the simplest solution because it does not involve any extra programming. You can also change the value of a control using a local variable.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,488 Views)

Hi I have briefly explained in the attachment what I am trying to do and the applications. Hope you can help me.

Regards,

Neasa

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,459 Views)

(If possible, you should always avoid acronyms. Is this particular case, HMI can have many possible meanings.)

You are showing a circuit diagram! Just to eliminate all potential misunderstandings, LabVIEW is not a circuit simulator, but a graphical programming language. LabVIEW can intereact with the world via DAQ hardware, so the first question is what kind of hardware do you have and what kind of signals it expects.

Basically, you need a digital output to control the circuit breaker and you need a digital input to read the state of the circuit breaker.

All your logic can easily be handled with LabVIEW programming.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,443 Views)