LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three devices with one computer

Hello everyone. Can i make a labview program with three scales ?. They must all be connected with a serial port connection.

Best regards

Oesen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,312 Views)

Hi oesen,

Can you explain your question more clearly?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,310 Views)

Yep more details would been nice. But when your PC has 3 serial ports you can communicate over all of them:-)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,301 Views)

Yes off course.. I have to make a program, which lets my PC communicate with three devices at the same time. Is this possible even though all three scales are communicated with a serial port ?. As far as i know, serial port connection can only communicate with ONE device, and not MORE device at the same time ?

Best regards

Oesen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,295 Views)

Oesen wrote:

serial port connection can only communicate with ONE device, and not MORE device at the same time

Not One device, The serial port sends and receives bytes of information one bit at a time.Based on the number of ports available in your system you can communicate with any of the devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
Message 5 of 6
(2,291 Views)

Yes, you will need 3 serial ports, each one connected to one device.

If your PC does not have 3 ports you have several options:

- use a PCIe card with additional serial ports

- use USB to serial adapters

- there's also a box from NI which converts one USB into 4 serial ports

Message 6 of 6
(2,290 Views)