LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thorlabs USB Spectrometer

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience/example using Labview to control Thorlabs SP2 Fiber Optical Spectrometer (USB2.0). I use Labview 8.0 and WinXP.

I have the Labview Library of the spectrometer which came from Thorlabs. I an a beginner with Labview and I'm looking for some help and suggestions. 

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,252 Views)

Hello darksea, I am the author of the LabView drivers of the Thorlabs SP2-USB spectrometer. However we derive these drivers from CVI drivers (this is a C-language programming environment from NI) and unfortunately do not provide examples for LabView.

May I ask you is it a general programming LabView problem you have or do you have SP2-USB related problems?

For a common understanding of 'how to access devices' you can look at the provided sample code written in C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,237 Views)

Hello lutzhoerl, thanks for your reply! I make some progress and I can get data in Labview now. But I still have questions about the inside CCD array. If the data array size (in SPX Get Scan Data.vi) is set to 1000, the Labview program will break down. Could you tell me how many elements the CCD array have? Is it a 1D array? It would be great if you can give me some hints about how the data is acquired and what the data structure is.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,220 Views)

Hi lutzhoerl, 

I too am trying to interface my CCS100 and CCS150 spectrometers to labview. 

I used labview back in the mid 1990s briefly, was successful but have not used it since. I understand that labview has changed dramatically since I personally used it in the past.

I do program in C and Python.

So I am somewhat of a newbie. What is an easy way to start taking to the spectrometer and building from there. 

After starting and getting data, is there some relatively easy way to display a graph similar to the splicco software but from labview?

Is there a way to interface the CVI code to regular labview?

Is there a book or reference that you recommend?.

Thanks,

Athens

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,479 Views)

Hi Athens,

here are some answers to your questions:

What is an easy way to start taking to the spectrometer and building from there?

-> Start with the samples provided with the CD included for any CCS spectrometer. There are LabView and plain C samples included.

After starting and getting data, is there some relatively easy way to display a graph similar to the splicco software but from labview?

-> Building powerful and rich featured applications is beyond the support Thorlabs can give you. But I am sure that National Instruments provides good examples how to program (e.g.) graphs with LabView.

Is there a way to interface the CVI code to regular labview?

-> Yes, the drivers for the CCS is an example. It was written with CVI and then converted to a LabView driver. You can write parts of your code in CVI, make a DLL out of it and interface the DLL with LabView. Again, this is a question better directed to National Instruments than to Thorlabs.

Is there a book or reference that you recommend?

-> Thorlabs provides the samples for CCS spectrometers and National Instruments provides tons of sample code and documentation. I personally do not use LabView except for building the drivers so unfortunately I cannot give you a recommendation for a book.

Besides me writing in this forum you can get help from the Thorlabs Tech Support. Go to www.thorlabs.com to find out the correct phone nunmber for support in your country.

Let me know when you need further assitance with CCS spectrometers.

Regards, Lutz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,463 Views)

Lutz,

Thanks for all your help.

Do you know if this vi will work with 64bit Labview.

I was able to get in working with 32 bit labview, but on the 64bit version it seemed that the error manager was not found.

I tried the 64 bit version first and then the 32bit version.

I am running windows 7 64 bit.

Are there any known issues with the thorlabs spectrometer running on the labview 64bit version?

Thanks,

Athens

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,413 Views)

Hi Athens_consulting,

I haven't heard anything, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.  I would recommend calling thor labs like Lutz recommended to determine how to move forward.  It's hard to diagnose this sort of thing from the outside.

This thread is also six years old, I would suggest you post in a new thread which references this thread if calling thor labs doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,391 Views)

Hi Athens,

we have updated the software package for the CCS spectrometers.The software will be available on our web page within this week.

The new package (Version 4.5.x.y) will include 64bit versions of all supported drivers including LabVIEW. The update targets mainly to be (more) VXIpnp compatible with the drivers and to fully support 64bit.

Please allow us a few moments for updating our webpage then go to www.thorlabs.com, search for CCS and then check for the software tab to find the download. Download the Beta version 4.5.x.y.

Thank you for your patience.

Message 8 of 13
(6,386 Views)

Hi all,

the new software package is online, goto:

http://www.thorlabs.com/software_pages/ViewSoftwarePage.cfm?Code=SPLICCO

and click on "Software Updates" then on "Download".

Please let me know when there is still a need for help.

Lutz Hörl

lhoerl@thorlabs.com

Message 9 of 13
(6,371 Views)

Hi lutzhoerl

I’am stil using Splicco 1,8. Because I only have windows XP available.

I made a nice labview program and started of whit the example included whit Splicco 1.8. The only problem I have is converting the channels to wavelengths. There is a X_GetwavelenghtData.html file but no vi. Is there a way getting this, whiteout calibrating channel to wavelength whit splicco myself.

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,178 Views)