From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thorlabs SC10 shutter controller in LabView

Hello,

I need help integrating Thorlabs SC10 shutter controller into my existing LV programs for spectroscopy applications.

Basically, I need to open shutter, do some measurements with CCD and other deviced, then close shutter, repeat same measurements, move to a new point and repeat.

According to a manual, there are two ways to remotely control SC10, and I can't get either one to work:

1.  RS232 link.  I am using a NC RS232-USB converter and creating COM6 port with it.  In MAX, I can see the controller, send a basic *IDN?\n command, and read it back (only when I set the byte count to 6, otherwise if its' 1024, I get a timeout error).  BUT.. I downloaded VIs for LabVIew applications from Thorlabs site, and I get errors every time I run any of them - I tried the SC10x Initialize.vi, SC10x SelfTest.vi .. I receive "Session Handle Not Valid" error for "Self Test.vi", and "Could not perform operation because of I/O error" for the Initialize.vi.  (and I do change the resource name input to ASRL6::INSTR).

2. TTL input.  Shutter will open on TTL high, and close on TTL low.  I tried to implement it using NI USB6221 BNC, and can't get far with it either.. Can you recommend what examples to look at and what's the best way to do it, given that I need shutter to stay either open or closed for extended periods, while other operations are performed?  I tried to set up Analog Out to output a square wave, but it didn't open the shutter.  I tested the output using LabView example from DAQmx analog generation (Cont GenVoltage WFM) using a scope, and strange thing happens - I can't make the amplitude of the output higher than ~ 0.9V.  Up to this value, output matched the amplitude set in the VI, but then it saturated at 0.9, even if setting of 10V is used.  What can be the reason?

In short, I am not an experienced LV programmer so if you can point me to the resources that would help me integrate the shutter using any of the two methods, it would be great. 

Thank!

Lyuba

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,117 Views)

Hello Lyuba77,

Unfortunately we do not support third party device drivers, however I can direct you to some useful examples for RS-232 communication. Using NI Example Finder under Help>Find Example in LabVIEW you can search for RS-232 and find many examples that may help you controlling your device.

In addition here is another useful forum post.

To control shutter SC10:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/To-control-shutter-SC10/m-p/1295672#M44412

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,096 Views)

Hello

i have faced the same problem many months ago, i have solved it by using the trigger function of the ccd to open and close the shutter.

i have a princeton isntrument device controlled through its native software lightfield.

I know that ccd from Andor and Horiba Jv have the same function.

I hope to have been helpful.

Francesco

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,841 Views)