Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There may be a problem installing LabVIEW 2017 "on top of" earlier versions

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob_Schor

My original report to NI about the problem of installing LabVIEW 2017 on a Windows 10 PC that previously had LabVIEW 2016 installed has been reproduced by NI.  This issue is now (back) in the hands of NI R&D.  I am assuming they will be issuing a patch.  I'm going to mark this as a "Solution", but really the Solution will be provided by NI ...

Bob Schor

Message 11 of 23
(2,082 Views)

I've read through this entire post seeing at the end that the issue hasn't been solved after all. So marking this as a solution proves to be a waste of time...

I'm going to mark this as a "Solution", but really the Solution will be provided by NI ...

Bob Schor

Bart Boshuizen,
www.morechemistry.com
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(1,966 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

My original report to NI about the problem of installing LabVIEW 2017 on a Windows 10 PC that previously had LabVIEW 2016 installed has been reproduced by NI.  This issue is now (back) in the hands of NI R&D.  I am assuming they will be issuing a patch.  I'm going to mark this as a "Solution", but really the Solution will be provided by NI ...

Bob Schor

I read through the thread but I need to ask if the problem is isolated to Windows 10 machines?

Did you get a CAR# for this problem?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(1,830 Views)

My understanding is that a CAR was generated, but I do not know the number, nor how to find it.  I did ask the AE (just now) for it, and when/if I get it, I'll post it.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- in my limited testing (N = 1), I was able to install it on a Windows 7 machine.

P.S.S -- Grain of Salt -- I have also been able to install it on a Windows 10 machine, but failed miserably (taking days to repair) to do a similar install on two other Windows 10 systems.  It might work ... (but I'm "waiting" ...)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(1,809 Views)

Personally, I have had a great deal of trouble with LV 2017 and MAX 17.  In my estimation, this may be the buggiest version since LV 8.2.  What is frustrating is that NI has been silent about issues that I am seeing on multiple machines.  I regularly have issues just trying to setup a cDAQ in MAX.  USB and ENET alike are problematic, yet I can find no solution from NI.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(1,762 Views)

How curious -- I just got off the phone with yet another NI Applications Engineer on what I think is a "left-over" of this same issue.  Very brief summary:

• I have three PCs I've been using heavily for LabVIEW Development, one Windows 7 (at work), two Windows 10 (at home).
  • All machines have LabVIEW 2016, work and one home have earlier versions.
  • Putting LabVIEW 2017 on the two home machines rendered all LabVIEW inoperable.  I was "afraid" to try it on my Windows 7 machine at work.
  • Managed to "repair" one home machine (took multiple days, a lot of work).
  • Have since successfully installed LabVIEW 2016 + LabVIEW 2017 on Windows 10 systems, but these were newly-configured machines with little other software.
  • Am currently trying to repair other Home Machine.  Uninstalled all NI Software, started installing LabVIEW 2014 (went fine).  Installed LabVIEW 2016, got error during VISA 16.0 saying "VISA Shared Components 5.5 or higher must be installed before installing VISA.NET Shared Components".  Called NI.  AE didn't know what this meant, suggested I try to "Force Install" (this was yesterday).  Tried, got to VISA step, same error.
  • AE has one final suggestion -- try installing NI-VISA 17.0 (from 2017 Kit), as it might have "fixed" this problem.  I'll try tonight.

Now for some potentially good news:

• NI, I'm pretty sure, knows that there is a problem with installing LabVIEW 2017, particularly in the face of older versions of LabVIEW.
  • When I filed my latest Support Ticket yesterday, I noticed that the Dropdown list for LabVIEW Version starts "LabVIEW 2017 SP1".
  • So I asked my AE -- "Is LabVIEW 2017 SP1 available?"  He knows they are working on it, but doesn't know when it will be released.
  • I am cautiously optimistic ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(1,756 Views)

Bob

You mentioned something early in this thread which caught my attention and I'm hoping you may remember some of the specifics of the issue (or can PM me the SR number). At one point you mentioned that the installation kills a lot of services. I am wondering if one of the services taken down was NI Service Locator and if that threw error 2 (invalid path) when trying to start it back up. Like I said, a bit specific but a bunch of people called in with this problem after upgrading and a lot of important services depend on the NI Service Locator so that might have been effecting what you were trying to do.

If you or anyone else is getting that error please let me know because I did some digging with one customer to find out what (I think) was going on but haven't been able to check if others see the same behavior..

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(1,740 Views)

Matt,

When I started the call to NI this morning, I had 19 (I think) installed Services.  When I opened MAX to get a MAX report (to figure out what was going on with VISA) and found MAX was hosed, I checked again, and I was missing around 7.  I'm pretty sure these included Citadel 4, possibly Authentication, Device Loader, mDNS, PSP Service Locator, Service Locator, and possibly Variable Engine.  I've seen this before -- I had a similar "Can't install from the Kit" with LabVIEW 2011 a few (6?) years ago ...

Bob "Plus ça change" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(1,729 Views)

Yesterday, I posted that an NI AE suggested that the error I saw trying to install VISA 16.0 (a message about needing an already-installed older version of VISA Shared Components) might be fixed by installing the LabVIEW 2017 VISA product.

It didn't work.  At 48% of the way through the install, I got exactly the same Error Message.  Time for Massive Uninstall of NI Software, Files, Registry Entries, followed by a lot of Hope ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(1,714 Views)

I have been uninstalling all my LV components for the last several hours, and should be ready to perform a fresh install in the morning.  My fingers are crossed as well.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(1,701 Views)