LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message using Labview

using an SMS-gateway feels weird, I have had little success using these (in the Netherlands), and you will need to know the provider for each telephonenumber.

Regarding the GSM modems, you will only need one, you could write a server client app where each client sends the SMS data (number+message) to the server that actually sents the SMS.

One thing to try is to connect a telephone via USB with a computer, see if a serial port pops up, if that's the case you could probably use the AT commandos.

Here are some links:

http://www.traud.de/gsm/index.html

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/AT_Commands

http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(929 Views)

Yes,I have tried with different networks and received nothing.

By the way I may use email instead of text whenever  there is an alarm on the system

With the GmailLV86.vi example I sent an email to my gmail account.I have also changed it to send and email to yahoo and it worked but not working with msn and hotmail becasue they need authorization so I got Error 1172

There is also a vi called SMTP email send message.vi  but it dosen't work and Iv got error 54

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(915 Views)

The GMail example works with authentication. You may not have the correct credentials set. You also need to set the correct port if you're using SSL. Note that SSL is different from authentication.

There is also a vi called SMTP email send message.vi  but it dosen't work and Iv got error 54

As I already noted, the SMTP VIs that ship with LabVIEW do not work with servers that require authentication.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(904 Views)

For sending a text by email,  have a look at sms2email.com

It's UK based, and converts texts to email, or email to text.

The email to text is not free - costs are roughly the same a normal text. You have to set up an account and pre-pay by card. I've used it previously, and found it to work quite well. If I remember correctly, you can set up an email address that gets directed to a specific mobile as a text, or so that emails FROM a specific email account can sent a text to any number.

The text to email works by sending it a text, beginning with an email address, and it sends the contents as an email. This bit is "free", ie an ordinary text cost for the text that you send.

Rod.

EDIT: Just checked the wiki list. Aql is the company behind sms2email.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(878 Views)

Many thanks Rod .I will contact them and let u know.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(864 Views)

Rod I have got a question.using your VI I can send email from my gmail .It is possible to do it even when I use the university wireless but when I want to run the vi on university PCs I get Error 1172 although I have logged in.

I need to mention that we need to enter university username and password to login on university PCs.What should I do to be able to use that VI on PCs?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(799 Views)