LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing of multiple LIN devices simultaneously

Hi,

I require to test a number of LIN devices at once. The application is product validation testing of automotive products. We project that we will be testing at least 4 identical modules at a go. I have found that the NI-8476s usb device is capable of carrying out communication with one device. Is there any way I can multiplex this device? Or will there need to be as many USB devices as there are modules under test?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,772 Views)

Hi Karl,

This device can address multiple different Lin devices using a master/slave relationship in a bus type set-up. You won’t need a device for each Lin device because you can address each Lin device in turn suing your USB controller as master. I hope this helps!
Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,745 Views)

Hi Matt,

As far as I know this would not be possible since the devices I will be testing are identical, therefore they will have the same ID. The testing involves testing multiple samples of the same product. When assembled in their final application at the customer, these devices would never be on the same network.

Is there any way to communicate to multiple LIN devices even if they have the same ID?

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,731 Views)

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately, if the devices have the same ID number then they will not be able to be on the same Lin bus due to communication errors. I would suggest you manufacture the Lin devices with different IDs if you want to test multiple devices.

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,723 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion, I think it should be allowable for the parts to be allocated different IDs for testing purposes. In the past, our  solution was to use as many LIN ports as there were devices under test. This caused problems with the communication since the devices were sometimes going into sleep mode due to the length of time of silence on the LIN line.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,716 Views)