LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telnet with Labview

Hey Everyone, 

Thanks in advance. 

I am trying to connect to a CAN-Ethernet gateway using Labview through Telnet. Basically, I want to change some settings on it while my main VI is running the tests. 

My main program gets the data from the gateway without any problems. I am using TCP/IP to get the data from the gateway in my program. Thats why I prefer to use Telnet to make changes to settings  on the gateway. 

I am Telnet support has been discontinued in Labview, but was wondering if there is a work around, Any sample snippet or example would be helpful. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,548 Views)

Have you considered using a .NET implementation of Telnet to see if that does what you want?

This is the first result on Google, not sure if it's actually good or not as I haven't used it myself.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,539 Views)

Hi Kyle,

I havent used .NET ever before. Does Labview have support for .Net?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,535 Views)

Yes

Here's a page with a bunch of links to help.  Start with the "Examples" section and go from there.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,529 Views)

As I state in another thread, you can just use the standard TCP functions to communicate with a Telnet interface.  This works just fine as long as the option characters are not used.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,505 Views)

As suggested you can use a standard TCP connection rather than telnet.

Does the gateway host a web server for changing settings via a browser? If so you could embed a web browser and allow the user to change the settings here.

If it needs to be programmatic, you can use HTTP GET and POST requests to change the settings too. I have done this before on an ethernet/can gateway without any problem. Obviously it depends on the make and model, and what it actually supports.

Deceased

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,457 Views)

Thanks Crossrulz,

I was able to communicate with it using TCP functions. Really appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,425 Views)