From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tables controls feel unintuitive

As it stands, the table control feels very unintitive to me. People are used to the look/feel of Excel - selecting entire columns or rows, deleting multiple rows at once, deleting sections of data, row/column numbers, etc. LV tables seem to have none of this "default" functionality.

Why does this matter?  I have found that sometimes you just get bad data... someone trips over a wire, your thermocouple bugs for a second, you start the test too soon, etc. I have had several applications that the most conveniant way I can think of to manually edit data is an Excel type table.

In the past, I have added in extra buttons to the side of the table in order to replicate SOME of this functionality (delete selection, delete selected columns, delete selected rows) but have found that the application users end up confused by it. They want to select something, right click, and hit "delete row". It isn't intuitive!

Does anyone have a better way to provide manual data editing?  (Or perhaps a way to programatically make table controls more intuitive).

-M

Message 1 of 2
(2,077 Views)

Hello M,

I think you might be looking for custom right-click menus, as described in this tutorial:

Tutorial: Create Custom Run-Time Shortcut Menus for LabVIEW Front Panel Objects

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3171/en/

I agree that having more of this sort of thing available out-of-the-box would be beneficial, definitely a good one for the Idea Exchange!

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,052 Views)