From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab Control UI Updates

Does anyone know if when your using a Tab control with multiple tabs what the outcome would be here...

I'm working on cleaning up a program.  The UI has tons of indicators that are being updated often. (No Graphs/Arrays all boolean)  I was going to try and defer front panel updates to save some cycles.  When using a tab control with say 5 tabs, each with indicators on them - even though you can only be on 1 tab at a time...are all the indicators on all the other tabs still being drawn?  All those other tabs boolean values should still be being updated...I guess thats what I'm looking to stop.
LV7.1, LV8.5, LV2014/15/16
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,362 Views)

You asked,

I was going to try and defer front panel updates to save some cycles.

This may not be required if they are just booleans. I believe it was LV 7.0 or ther-abouts were the defer FPupdate forced an extra screen up when when went T.

When using a tab control with say 5 tabs, each with indicators on them - even though you can only be on 1 tab at a time...are all the indicators on all the other tabs still being drawn?

Oh no. Smiley Surprised That would be terible. They are only rendered if the tab is being viewed or when you switch to a tab.

All those other tabs boolean values should still be being updated...I guess thats what I'm looking to stop.

If their terminal, local, Value, or Value Change are written,  they will be updated. The "value" is kept behind what you see on the GUI and is protected using the UI thread (exception terminal and locals which use special techniques).

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 2
(2,346 Views)