LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS memory issue on cRIO-9035 (Linux RT)

Solved!
Go to solution

So for anyone who comes across this thread, the issue I was seeing is that under Linux-based RT systems, the amount of free memory reported by the system property node is incorrect. I think I have a decent solution to anyone else that can't get over the fact RAM usage is near 100% when writing to files often. It involves calling a shell command to get the memory details and figuring out % free manually.

Thanks again to Craig

CoreyRT_DetermineMemFree.JPG

Corey Rotunno

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,180 Views)

crotunno, 

Thanks for following up on this with your implementation, this post helped me find a very similar issue in my own code.  One thing I wanted to point out is that your implemenation uses MemAvailable, whereas the KB Craig linked indicates that MemFree + Cached + Buffers is the correct value.  

In my system, MemAvailable was actually about 100 MB lower than the combined value, so you may have more resources than you expected.  My implementation is below.  It executes in almost exactly the same time as yours (15.846 ms vs. 15.795 ms over 1000 trials), so no downside in pulling more values out of the string.

mem.png

Drew T.
Camber Ridge, LLC.
Message 12 of 13
(991 Views)

As far as I can tell, @Craig_ is correct. I spent a whole day trying to figure out what the issue with this was, but then I found this thread, tried the new (correct) way of polling my cRIO 9036 (Linux RTOS) memory and confirmed that memory was not actually growing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(517 Views)