LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS file error occurs after several hours

I have a compiled LabVIEW 2010 SP1 executable running on a Windows 7 PXI computer that is occasionally producing the following error message:

"LabVIEW: LabVIEW could not load the TDMS file component.

The top-level VI <my VI's name> was stopped at unknown on the block diagram of  <my VI's name>"

This program is interfacing with equipment under test over a number of PXI cards and ethernet connections. It alters inputs to the system based on script commands, while receiving and displaying outputs. During testing, state changes are sent to a TDMS file. The system can run for hours but will usually produce the above error message... eventually.

The error seems to indicate that a LabVIEW file is missing, but the TDMS files are being created, so I may not be understanding the meaning of the error. Does anyone know what the actual cause(s) of this error message are?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,664 Views)

How is your code writing to the TDMS files. Are you using the API directly or are you using an Express VI?

Can you post your code?

What is several hours? Is it consistent in terms of duration or clock-time of when it fails?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,644 Views)

The error means that your installed TDMS library (normally is C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\TDMS\tdms.dll) is missing/corrupted or older than the installed LabVIEW. 

If that's the case, you can try reinstall the TDMS library with the attachment in this link: http://www.ni.com/example/28008/en/

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,615 Views)

The code writes to the TDMS file using the "TDMS Write" VI from the TDM Streaming Palette. These write VIs are located in 12 different sub VIs in a program loop within my main VI. Every 50ms they execute, service the I/O,  and write to the TDMS file if data in the particular sub VI has changed state. Some are writing floating point numbers, most are writing strings. There are about 750 total channels being written. I know that posting the code would be more usefull than describing it, but I think posting the source code would be frowned upon by my company. There are over a hundred custom VIs and external hardware connections that are required to effectively run this code anyway.

Regarding timing, there doesn't seem to be a particular amount of time that has to pass before this issue occurs. I was given a screenshot that shows the error occured after 11 hours of running. I was also told that the same error had occured about 6+ hours into a test once. I can say that this error doesn't seem to occur quickly, as in within the first hour or so. It seems to require long duration tests.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,573 Views)

Are your VIs executed on a PC or on NI hardware?

In case of a PC, what other software is installed/running on your system?

Did you install Platform DVD or other NI software?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,569 Views)

The compiled executable is running on an NI PXI chassis with a PXI-8110 controller. Most of the software on the controller was installed by NI when the equipment was received. I ran an installer  for my program, created in the labview project build specification, that included the 2010 SP1 runtime (with NI TDM Streaming 2.5) and whatever else I thought should be there.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,566 Views)