LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS batch conversion to ASCII

Is that possible to convert multiple TDMS files (let say 100 TDMS file -- Each 40 Megabyte) to Multiple ASCII file format (like .csv). I mean is this operation posible.

100 TDMS files --> Converter --> 100 .csv files

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,804 Views)

I would say yes. Do you have reason to believe otherwise/

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,795 Views)

Ben,

Thanks. Could you please help me out, how is this possible. I have downloaded a converter from NI website (TDMS to ASCII convertor.vi (44.1 K) LabVIEW 8.2) but this converts a single TDMS file to ASCII (.csv).

Is their a converter exist for multiple TDMS file conversion.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,791 Views)

@ars_xx wrote:

Ben,

Thanks. Could you please help me out, how is this possible. I have downloaded a converter from NI website (TDMS to ASCII convertor.vi (44.1 K) LabVIEW 8.2) but this converts a single TDMS file to ASCII (.csv).

Is their a converter exist for multiple TDMS file conversion.

Thanks

I am here to help out others and will get fired if I write code to spec.

You will have to write a small VI that that accepts/finds the files to be converted and then use  For Loop to iterate through each of the TDMS files converting one at a time.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,783 Views)

Ben: Thanks, That would be helpful: Abhay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,780 Views)

If you have trouble with the development, post back with IMAGES OF YOUR CODE along with questions. Most of the regular contributors to the forum will be abel to to advise.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,764 Views)

Ben,

I tried converting single TDMS file to ASCII (.csv), the converter (TDMS to ASCII convertor.vi) works fine for intial two files after that it started spitting out an error "Labview error: Memory Full". I am not sure what is that? Is that something to do with the Labview or my computer. I checked memory of my computer, I still have 20 GB of free space on my hard disc. I dont know if this is a problem of RAM (I have 1 GB of RAM). I even restarted my computer and ran again with the same file which I was able to suceesfully convert to .csv, it did not work and gave me the same error.

I am still on a single TDMS file conversion mode, I have not even started with the multiple file conversion. As I have mentioned before Size of the TDMS file is approax. 35 - 45 Megabyte.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,735 Views)

Lacking images of your code, I can only guess at what you have on your screen that is causing issues.

So please post images of the code or even better, the code itself.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,733 Views)

You have to write TDMS data to ASCII files in blocks, rather than all at once.  Use the "Append Data" option in a loop and close the file in each iteration.  It will quickly fill your operating system available memory (not hard drive storage space, but ram + virtual memory) if you try to do a large file all at once.

-Hunter

Message 9 of 9
(3,624 Views)