LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDM/TDMS Excel plugin doesn't work using System Exec.vi

Solved!
Go to solution

I downloaded the TDM/TDMS Excel plugin.  I can launch Excel and click on a TDMS file and the conversion works.  When I run the example 'Command Line Execution.vi' using the 'Interactive Applications' tab, Excel launches, but the TDMS plugin doesn't work.  A file gets loaded into Excel but it's all non-readable.  I have the following in the command line: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe C:\Scratch\filename.tdms.  Do I need a switch in the command line to call the plugin?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,073 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AT1

When you double click on a TDMS file, it doesn't open it in Excel, it opens it in the Excel Importer.  A utility made by NI that is the default program to open TDMS files, which will launch Excel, and them call the addon to import the file making it into a new unsaved workbook.

One alternative is to use ActiveX to import the file.  I made a utility here that conversts and saves TDMS files as XLSX files with some added functionality.

Or if you want to call the import utility you can do that with a command line call, with something similar to this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\TDM Excel Add-In\ExcelTDMImporter.exe" "C:\data\Test.tdms"

Or you can probably just perform a system exec on the file like this which should open it in the default application, and in this case it is the importer.

"C:\data\Test.tdms"

Message 2 of 3
(3,040 Views)

Or if you want to call the import utility you can do that with a command line call, with something similar to this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\TDM Excel Add-In\ExcelTDMImporter.exe" "C:\data\Test.tdms"

Or you can probably just perform a system exec on the file like this which should open it in the default application, and in this case it is the importer.

"C:\data\Test.tdms"

For me above two option create an error as "Memory full". However i did my task with batch file.

ps: just commented three year old thread, may be useful to someone in future.

Kuddo welcomed
CLAD-CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,171 Views)