From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP VISA Validated but cannot connect

Hello,

Please help me figure this out. I have a Sorenson Power Supply connected to a 8 port hub and I have configured the device as a VISA TCP/IP port. I have validated it using the "Validate" button under MAX but when I try to use the LabVIEW drivers and the TCP/IP VISA alias, I get a communication error.

The power supply requires a username and password to login to its web server but I am not sure if this is required for the device to work under VISA but it kind of makes sense otherwise anyone on the network could set the power supply. Could this be my problem? Anyone with a solution? Thanks in advance.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,941 Views)

Hi Michael,

do your Power Supply only support the web interface? Do you try to automate what you normally do with your webbrowser?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,931 Views)

The power supply should be able to communicate via VISA TCP/IP. I can set up the connection/device in Measurement and Automation (MAX) and I can "Validate" the connection so I should be able to talk with it via VISA. I have opened the VISA panel in MAX and tried to do the "IDN?\n" command but I get a timeout error. There must be a permission or security setting that has to be flipped but I do not know which one and where it might be located.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,922 Views)

Hi Michael,

What's the model of your power supply? Have you tried looking in the supply's user's manual to see if there's a setting you need to change to communicate across TCP/IP?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,908 Views)

Hello Justin,

I am using a Sorensen DCS40-75e model. Right now, I can talk across TCP/IP using a web browser and logging in and supplying a password. I can set everything in this mode but I want to incorporate this into my LabVIEW software. I have talked with Sorensen which is owned by Elgar. Apparently, they had an outside contractor create their LabVIEW drivers and no one at the tech support knew anything about LabVIEW. Kind of unfortunate. My current options are to try to plug along and find a solution using ethernet or use RS232 and have no problems except making an serial cable with an RJ45 jack on one side and a D-Sub 9 pin on the other. If anyone has a suggestion, I will be glad to try it and report the findings here. Thanks.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,873 Views)
Where did you get the LabVIEW drivers? Are they the ones on this page? If so, they are only set up to work with GPIB or serial, not TCP/IP. According to the manual, you can use a raw socket interface, using port 9221.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,864 Views)

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back up, but did this issue ever get resolved?  I am having the exact same issues as you, but with the Sorensen DCS60.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,375 Views)