From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP String Input for Write Function

You would typecast/flatten your integer to a string and send that. Just because the LabVIEW functions send strings does not mean they are  sending ASCII. A string can be anything. Be sure to use the correct integer type. One advantage of the Flatten to String is that you can set it to big or little endian.

To stop everyone from guessing, provide the manual and make and model of the instrument. Saying "Its a GPS receiver, a normal electronic device." is silly. Do you think every instrument uses the same communication format?Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(599 Views)

Hi KateB,

That is my point of question. If i were to use the formula node function to compute X, Y and Z (to be transmitted), the output of this function is purely integer form. I can use the cast type to convert the integer (of X, Y and Z) to string for the transmission but the receiver will not be able to receive it in integer form.

I understand that if i use a control constant, in string format, the receiver is able to receive in integer format according to what the string constant is defined. But my question now is if i were to use the formula node function where the output is purely in integer form, there will definitely be a need to convert the integer to string format for the transmission and when the receiver receives the data, it is not in the integer format that the receiver requires. So, does that mean that i can't use the formula node function in this case?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(597 Views)

I cannot help anything if you don't show receiver manual.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(595 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for being SILLY. I have already indicated that the device can only take in integer format value and has no means to convert the incoming data (of format other than integer) to the integer. I believe you should have come across things that you cannot disclose openly and that is why i cannot specifically name the model of the device.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(588 Views)

Hi KateB,

No problem. Thank you for your suggestions. I will try out other ways to test it and will update if there is new progress.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(583 Views)

@Prince Boeing wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for being SILLY. I have already indicated that the device can only take in integer format value and has no means to convert the incoming data (of format other than integer) to the integer. I believe you should have come across things that you cannot disclose openly and that is why i cannot specifically name the model of the device.

And you keep asking for help when we are all working blind. If you cannot provide the manual, fine but you should have said that at the beginning. If you cannot understand what the flatten function does and how data is represented, then you need to some additional study. Bits is bits and as long as you send the correct bits, the instrument will acknowledge them. Your comment about the formula node is irrelevant. You've gotten the same answer from me and KateB.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(579 Views)