From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Web Server Error: Overload - No Free Workers

Solved!
Go to solution

Deployed several remote front panels on CRIO-9067 via LV 2015.  Generally connection works fine but after some time, connection to html files becomes intermittent and eventually fully unable to access.  Error is 503 - Server Overload error.  Went digging into the log files and found the following in /var/local/natinst/log/SystemWebServer.log:

appweb: Error: No free workers. Increase ThreadLimit. (Count 10 of 10)

Any thoughts? Could expand free workers in SystemWebServer.conf but uncertain of other impacts.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,885 Views)

Hi BDA_VAN1,

Can you attach the entire log file?

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,844 Views)

Was only line in the file.  Controller was reset and log is now empty.  I only retained screenshot from config and monitoring page. I did capture error log - attached.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,833 Views)

Can you give me a more complete picture of what you are doing? Do you have multiple front panels that are being connected to from multiple clients or is it just one front panel opened from multiple clients?

Brandon Grey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,812 Views)

I've got four panels that are accessible from multiple clients.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,806 Views)

I would imagine that for system performance reasons, there is a limited number of clients that can connect simultaneously to a remote front panel. I would imagine that each time a client connects, it creates a thread to serve the data to that client and there is a limit to the maximum number of threads (10).

Having too many clients connected would likely cause high CPU which in turn would affect the 'RT'-ness of the cRIO target.

If you need to have so many clients connected, you might want to look at having an intermediate 'relay' server which can serve more clients (e.g. single connection from cRIO to server, many clients can connect to a single server). You could do this using LabSockets (3rd party toolkit), or implement your own system (e.g. based on HTTP, TCP/IP, WebSockets etc.).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,791 Views)

Thanks Sam for the reply.  Indeed you are right in that we've got a limited number of threads set to 10.  What we do have is clients that connect intermittent to monitor RT status & download data.  

Is there a way to "dump" a thread after a client disconnects / times out? I will never have 10 clients connect at the same time.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,779 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BDA_VAN1

Hi BDA_VAN1,

I couldn't find a way to terminate the connections but the webserver should terminate the connections if they reach the timeout limit (which I believe is 60 seconds by default). 

You can go into the NISystemWebServer.conf file and increase the number of connections allowed. There is a KnowledgeBase article that walks through this process. This may only serve to postpone the error but it also may give the other connections that have been established a chance to timeout. 

Brandon Grey

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,752 Views)