LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress error dialog and quit Startup VI with broken Strict VI ref

Hi all,

Use Startup VI which calls Main VI upon opening app.

The Main VI has dependencies such as .Net framework and so occassionally on certain PC's the Startup VI opens broken and cannot load.

A couple of LV dialogs are displayed; 1. stating Full Dev Version of LV required to fix; 2. Install .Net.  Then the Startup VI is displayed as broken; I don't want any of this displayed.

Yes, I have now included the .Net framework with my distribution.  But there may be other possible reasons why Main VI is not executable.

This error in the dynamically called Main VI is not being captured (unwired) because it's a Strict VI ref hence dialog.

Question:  How to load the Startup VI and if its status is Broken how to quit LV and display a custom error message?  Is this the best way to handle this situation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,601 Views)

VI Property_Exec.State-Bad.png

Should I just place this check at the start of the code on Startup VI??

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,598 Views)

You could possibly run that on the next VI.  You can't run it on "This VI" because if the state is bad, then it can't execute to tell you itself that it is bad.

Message 3 of 5
(2,586 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

You could possibly run that on the next VI.  You can't run it on "This VI" because if the state is bad, then it can't execute to tell you itself that it is bad.

Oh yeah! 🙂  Any solution for the Startup VI which may be broken?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,579 Views)

There isn't much you can do about that.  Just make sure that people install your application properly and it installs any of the other things it needs.  If your startup.vi is broken, figure out why and and fix it.  If your startup is primarily to figure out whether it can load the next VI and run it, then your startup VI should be so simple that there is really no reason for it to be broken.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,575 Views)