LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunddenly impossible to open Labview file (end of file encountered)

Hello,

I am running Labview 2014 on Windows 7. After closing my VI, I suddenly can't seem to be able to open the VI again. I get the error message "Unable to open file - End of file encountered". I have seen a similar situation on the forum ( http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Can-t-open-Vi-end-of-File-Encountered/td-p/3197399 ) but have not seen a satisfactory solution or an explanation of a possible cause of the error. I have attached the VI file that I can't open.

Any help appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,961 Views)

It won't open for me either.

The file must have been corrupted somehow.  Maybe someone from NI can peek into it to see if there is anything specifically wrong that can be fixed.  But otherwise you'll probably have to go to a backup copy you've saved and work from that one.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,953 Views)

The attachment size is 1KB, which makes it likely there's nothing to do with this file any more. Since you're asking the question, I'm going to assume you're not using source code control, which you should. SVN is free and easy to use, but there are other options.

If you don't have your own backup, current versions of Windows do automatic versioning of files. This appears to be tied to the system restore feature, so if your files are on the system drive, it's likely you can get a copy of the file from the last restore point created by Windows. You can check by right clicking the file or folder in Explorer and selecting the restore previous versions option.

(4,941 Views)

Thank you both for your replies. I don't have a backup file for this particular VI, unfortunately, so I guess I will either look into Windows auto-save features or re-write the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,911 Views)

@ovincent wrote:

Thank you both for your replies. I don't have a backup file for this particular VI, unfortunately, so I guess I will either look into Windows auto-save features or re-write the VI.

Yes and while you're at it be sure and investicate SVN or some other source code control system.  Even for single developers it can be a life saver.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,889 Views)

So it turns out that Windows backups were not activated so I can't recover the file. Anyway I am not very familiar with the concept of source code control. Is this a backup strategy? I have searched the web for "source code control" and the results were not very clear to me.

Thank you all for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,868 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@ovincent wrote:

Yes and while you're at it be sure and investicate SVN or some other source code control system.  Even for single developers it can be a life saver.

Not only does is it a lifesaver, it allows you to be pretty fearless and strike out in different directions (branching) knowing that if you reach a dead end, you can always revert back to the trunk and start again.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,849 Views)

Yet I still use disabled diagram structures when attempting changing some strategies in software, but yes I agree that changes when using SCC can be made with less regard.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,767 Views)

Your file is nothing more than a text file containing a line with four numbers (15.502 10.005 8.000 0.651).

This was never a LabVIEW program, just some random file renamed with a VI extensions. There is nothing to recover. In the worst case, you overwrote the actual VI by accident, so go back to your backups and get the original.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,757 Views)