From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subpanel on system tab control decreases performance when disabled & grayed out

Problem:

We have a system tab control where each tab has a subpanel in which a LVOOP plug-in method is loaded at run time. We noticed a significant performance decrease under certain conditions.

Cause:

After hours of searching we realised that our performance problems were caused when the subpanel on the visible tab of the system tab control was disabled & grayed out. By switching to a tab with an enabled subpanel, performance was as normal. The problem did not occur...

- when the disabled & grayed out subpanel was not on the system tab control, but directly on the front panel or

- when another tab without a disabled & grayed out subpanel was active or

- when the subpanel on the active tab was either enabled or just disabled (i.e., not grayed out)

- when we used the standard modern LabVIEW tab control instead of the system tab control.

We hope that this problem could be fixed with a patch.

Message 1 of 9
(3,225 Views)

I see the same result on my pc (32-bit XP, LV 2010 SP1).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,213 Views)

Dear dlanger, dear Harlequinade,

I have some problems with reproducing the problem.

Could you post a small example-VIs?

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Tatjana

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,200 Views)

Somehow we can not really reproduce the effect with small example VIs.

If we make a small example with a disabled and grayed out subpanel and see the performance, there are no difference. Only in the large scale project it is reproducible for us.

We could try to make a movie of it to show.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,177 Views)

Yes  of course!

I would be glad to it and looking forward for a solution.

Could you post it here?

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,172 Views)

I made two movies of the Real Life Situation. We are doing imaging and thus generate images which are shown in the top panel. Below are all the tabs with settings.

When I switch to a tab without a disabled sub panel, the programs runs fast. When I switch to a tab with a disabled and grayed out subpanel it goes slow for the System Tab controller and normal for the Modern System Tab. As you can see the queue of images to be processed increases. I have to switch fast tabs, because otherwise I get an FPGA buffer overflow and the programs stops anyway directly.

In the movie, the tabs that are disabled and grayed out during running are the tabs: imagingMode and experimentController.

Modern Tab control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mUFVznnLuo

System Tab control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHF1AyvPnyA

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,159 Views)

Dear Harlequinade,

could you post your big project here in this forum? Or is it secret?

In case it is secret for all, could National Instrument contact you per Email?

Best regards

Tatjana

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,144 Views)

Hello Dlanger

I'am also facing the same problem, did you find the solution for that?

If you know the possibilities when it will act like that so could please share the knowledge which will be really helpful for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,771 Views)

Hi Ganapa,

We solved it by not using the System Tab controls in that specific application ...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,727 Views)