From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subpanel in cluster

How come labview lets you put a subpabel into a cluster? Is this some kind of bug?

Notice they will restrict you from inserting the subpanel into an array.

subpanel in cluster.png

And you will be able to actually insert a VI in that subpanel if you put the array terminal in a disable structure.

subpanel in cluster weird.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,504 Views)

The subpanel is a weird control in that it doesn't have a terminal or a data type. This helps explain why LV blocks you from putting it in an array - an array has to have a data type. In a cluster, you can just add in other values to let the cluster have a data type. You can also do this with a cluster that you place into the array.

I didn't try seeing what would happen if you try to insert a VI into such a panel when the array has multiple elements (my guess would be either crash, only one of them shows it or all of them show the same VI). I don't know how I would classify this behavior, but I wouldn't use it in production code.

I also can't say I ever really saw the need for this. While I can easily imagine wanting something like this, in practice I never ran into the need to use it. I did post an example showing how you can basically have an array of subpanels elsewhere in this board.

(3,465 Views)

Hi,

I have the same issue. How did you fix it? If you did...

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,194 Views)

Who's message are you replying to?

What issue are you trying to fix?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,188 Views)

I have a cluster which displays the analysis of a measurement. But the number of these measurements can change from time to time. I want to display these clusters of measurements and I am trying to change the number of clusters programmatically.

The easiest solution would be having an array of these clusters where I can change the size of the array dynamically. But then, I cannot set differently the property of one element.

Then I tried to load the cluster in a sub-panel and do an array of sub-panels. I did it, but I got the same result, I cannot change the property of one element.

I do not know how to do it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,176 Views)

I'd suggest posting a new message because it seems like you have a different question than what this thread was originally about.

Attach a VI that shows the data you want to work with.

What property do you want to change in a particular element?  As you stated, you can't change the property of only one element in an array.  Properties of all array elements are in common, only their values can differ.  But depending on what you are trying to do, there may be ways to work around that.

So please attach something that shows us what you are actually trying to do in a new message thread.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,167 Views)

Have a look at this thread for a possible direction - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Independent-cursors-on-array-of-cluster-of-graphs-or-work-around/m-p...

(3,164 Views)

Thank you, the solution proposed using sub-panel seems to work.

My cluster of measurements is similar to the plugin 3 of the example. There is one XY graph, 2D array as heatmap and sevral numeric indicators.

I will post an example as soona completed.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,127 Views)