LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubVI locks up main VI

Solved!
Go to solution

I would prefer the loop stoppage override it, yes.  But I guess I"m missing something obvious because I thought if you write 'true' to the loop stop control, it stops the loop and anything running inside of it.

In any event - how do I achieve that behavior for this loop?

thanks again for the help

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(575 Views)

The event structure isn't going to detect changes to your indicators.  For that, you are going to need a shift register to keep track of the values and do a check for Not Equal.

Remember that EVERYTHING in your loop must complete before the loop iteration is complete.  When the iteration is complete, it checks the loop condition.

If you want the user to be able to cancel looking for data, then you need to have a timeout and handle anything that happens due to the timeout.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(572 Views)

I don't think that's true...although not shown in the example I pasted, as the queue empties, it writes to the Val (Sgnl) property of the indicator.  If I register a value change event on said indicator, it executes when the indicator changes.  I've tested this out and it works...

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(566 Views)

@bmishoe wrote:

I don't think that's true...although not shown in the example I pasted, as the queue empties, it writes to the Val (Sgnl) property of the indicator.  If I register a value change event on said indicator, it executes when the indicator changes.  I've tested this out and it works...

But still, that sounds like a bad design.  Why do you need to cause the event?  Why not just use a case structure and execute that when you get the command?

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(563 Views)

Specifically, if there is a change on an indicator, be it T->F or F->T, I wish to light a separate 'history' indicator and keep it lit until the user manually clears it.

I suppose I could use the case structure, but that requires I read the value of the history indicator every time and then write logic around that (i.e. if not active, make active, else do nothing)...not to mention I also have to keep track of the previous value of the non-history indicator.  I admit that wouldn't be a huge deal, this way just seems easier to me.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(555 Views)

@bmishoe wrote:

Specifically, if there is a change on an indicator, be it T->F or F->T, I wish to light a separate 'history' indicator and keep it lit until the user manually clears it.

I suppose I could use the case structure, but that requires I read the value of the history indicator every time and then write logic around that (i.e. if not active, make active, else do nothing)...not to mention I also have to keep track of the previous value of the non-history indicator.  I admit that wouldn't be a huge deal, this way just seems easier to me.

But each time you write to the Value (Signaling) property, the event is thrown.  It doesn't matter if the data changed or not.  So you really want to keep it yourself anyways.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(551 Views)

that is a good point...I hadn't considered that.  The logic to light up the history indicator as part of the case structure would be easy enough for sure...

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(548 Views)