LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubVI indicators do not update when its indicators when used (string array)

Hi,

I have a strange bug that really made me struggle during development. Normally indicators in a SubVI (non-reentrant execution) update when it is called/used.

I was able to reproduce a simple example showing what I mean. I guess the picture will explain it better, but also attached the example project.

What I expected to happen when I run main, is that all controllers and indicators should update wehn it was called by main.vi. But here both arrays of string do not show its content, just empty, and this is not what it was when it run.

Enyone know why it does not work or is there a setting somewhere to make labview not hide the values?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,513 Views)

Remove the build array and transpose VIs.  They are not necessary.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,467 Views)

Oh and you don't need the row index on the Replace Array Subset.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,461 Views)

Nevermind my comments.  I see what you are saying now.

I think the issue you are seeing may have something to do with this thread.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Bug-in-Build-Array-function/td-p/71069

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,446 Views)

UpdateParameterList (SubVI)_BD.png

The controls/indicators work as expected if you just remove the Transpose 2D Array, but my suggestions make more sense than your code AND the FP reflects the data.  This makes no sense to me, just like most of the rest of LabVIEW. 😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,425 Views)

Yes, I can reproduce it on my setup too.

I agree with the above posters that the method you are using to add a row of doubles to a column of strings isn't the best way to do it, but it should (and does) work.  However I have no idea why the controls would not update on the SubVI with one method but they do with the other.  Bizarre, I'd call it bug-worthy.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,412 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

UpdateParameterList (SubVI)_BD.png

The controls/indicators work as expected if you just remove the Transpose 2D Array, but my suggestions make more sense than your code AND the FP reflects the data.  This makes no sense to me, just like most of the rest of LabVIEW. 😄

Please understand that this example is in the posted example simplified with fixed indexes, which is not always the case. I may want replace a section not starting from (0,1).

I still do not see why LabVIEW should not update a clearly not empty control/indicator.

Message 7 of 10
(3,361 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Yes, I can reproduce it on my setup too.

I agree with the above posters that the method you are using to add a row of doubles to a column of strings isn't the best way to do it, but it should (and does) work.  However I have no idea why the controls would not update on the SubVI with one method but they do with the other.  Bizarre, I'd call it bug-worthy.

Good, I have seen in on all computers I have tested on. It is mainly a loss/confusion during development/debugging, but still strange and it must be a bug yes..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,358 Views)

@aputman wrote:

Nevermind my comments.  I see what you are saying now.

I think the issue you are seeing may have something to do with this thread.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Bug-in-Build-Array-function/td-p/71069

I don't think it is the same as this is not just a bug in the view, but how things is done. My bug is only directed to the controls/indicators taht seems to be empty, but really is not when it runs.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,356 Views)

Hi jacob,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. A corrective action has already been filed and the issue is being looked at by R&D. It seems this problem is related to how the connector pane intereacts with a 2D array of strings alongside the replace array subset VI. It's quite specific but most definitely is an issue and I can assure you that we're looking to fix it in the future.

Best regards,

Jake A

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
Message 10 of 10
(3,286 Views)