LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with how to appropriately scale this host/data display VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello! I'm hoping someone can send me in the right direction on this. I've mocked up a front panel the way I intend it to look - a fill slide overlapping a waveform chart, to give the effect of a visible current value and a short history trace. The idea is to have many of these kinds of indicators on one display for an engine test stand- it allows the simple visualization of a lot of data all at once, and I am replacing an old data acquisition system with a similar display.

The meat of my question lies in how to take these indicators (which work pretty much the way I want) and duplicate the code thirty times without making a huge mess. I looked into subpanels but it seemed like that was also a complicated thing to do thirty times. Maybe it's just gonna be messy, but I hope there's some good/simple way to do this.

Making a custom control seemed like an option, but I couldn't figure out how to make the custom control contain both the waveform chart and the fill slide -- and then after that, how to make the colors alternate in the alarm state like I already have.

I'm asking before I spend a huge amount of time on it in case I need to start over!

If you think you might be able to help please have a look at the attached VI with six of these things already cloned and let me know your idea. I really appreciate it.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,569 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author matteci

First of all, that's a pretty neat looking UI element you've come up with there!

To be honest, I think the most appropriate way to solve this would be to create an XControl for your UI element. It's quite an involved process if you haven't created one before but if you search for creating an XControl there's quite a lot of resources available.

If that seems a bit too involved/advanced, your idea of using Subpanels is probably the best solution - create a VI that shows the data and however many subpanels you need to display the data and load the VI into the subpanel. You'll obviously have to (an array of subpanel references works well for this) do the asynchronous calls and manage the VI references etc.

The key thing is that you will want to create your graph/slide combo only once and then repeat it where needed - either through an XControl or a reentrant VI loaded into a subpanel.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 3
(2,538 Views)

Thanks for the response, somehow I missed it. Getting back onto this project after numerous distractions; I will look into the xcontrol, it's helpful to know that it's an appropriate direction to go in while investing time in figuring it out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,343 Views)