From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with Converting a 2-D array of U8 data to a Matlab file format?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am struggling trying to convert a simple 2-D array of U8 data (3 channels) to a matlab file format.  I have been manipulating the examples found in the labview2matlabni folder - but I can't get it to read in Matlab - the matrix is unreadable - says inconsistent number of columns. 

I have included my vi with a sample of the data saved as input.  I am sure this shouldn't be so difficult!

Thanks in advance - any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,040 Views)

Do you have a link to a documentation of this file format?

You code seems overly complicated with a lot of unecessary operations. For example, to take the product of all dimensions, you could just do a "multiply array elements", no loop needed. 

Who wrote the two subVIs?

For example, the entire left side of your code could be written as follows:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,034 Views)

The data is just three channels of U8 data - that is it in terms of format.  I just hacked a few of the examples (LabviewtoMatlabvi) I found on the ni site with what I thought I needed to save as .mat. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,030 Views)

These are all the .vis that I have found from searching the site - but none seem to work for me.  I keep getting the same error about the inconsistent number of columns and unable to extract matrix size from file.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,027 Views)

I am still struggling with this problem - I cannot get this simple 3 channel array to be read in matlab - I have been exploring the matlab dataplugin but I can't make sense of it - I would really appreciate any help out there!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,001 Views)

I do have matlab here, but I am very unfamiliar with it. Can you show a few lines of matlab code to demonstrate how you are trying to read it? This way I can do some experiments myself. Thanks.

Message 6 of 16
(2,991 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PA_UW

If you haven't doen this already,

You may want to check out this site, http://matio-labview.sourceforge.net/. I believe there are VIs for saving and importing .mat files.

Cheers,

mcduff

Message 7 of 16
(2,989 Views)

at this point I am just trying to load the file in with:

load('filename.mat")

size(val)

right now I can't get passed load!

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,983 Views)

size(val)

should be something like

3  277453

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,979 Views)

I had not seen this:  http://matio-labview.sourceforge.net/

Thank-you so much!!  I think this solves it.  Not sure what was going on with those other programs...  but this one seems to work. 

Most appreciated - made my day!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(2,963 Views)