LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X Bug

@JKSH wrote:

@billko wrote:

I truly understand this has been very consistent with LabVIEW itself and I don't consider them "bugs."

"Consistent within LabVIEW itself" isn't a good reason to keep something. If it's inconsistent with Everything Else(TM) out there, it creates problems for users. One of the biggest examples is LabVIEW's Alt+Tab behaviour: that has been VERY consistent within LabVIEW itself since the dawn of time, but it drives users nuts!

I think it'd be great for LabVIEW to have Ctrl-A/Ctrl+C/Ctrl-X behave like Everything Else(TM), in line with the Principle of least astonishmentI can agree that the word "bug" might be unsuitable here, but it's still an "undesirable characteristic" and a worthy candidate for change.

Yes, if you read my previous posts, you would see that I completely agree with you.  🙂

Unfortunately, my quote was taken out of context.  (A context that, unless you were closely following the thread since the beginning, you probably missed.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 50
(1,148 Views)

You can get around Ctrl+A bug with a keyboard shortcut for a menu item.  Let's say: Select All.

And implement the select all function your self.

Demo attached.

Weird.  Can't attach .rtm file !

You just have to rename .rtm.vi back to .rtm

George Zou
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 50
(1,133 Views)

billko wrote:

Yes, if you read my previous posts, you would see that I completely agree with you.  🙂

Unfortunately, my quote was taken out of context.  (A context that, unless you were closely following the thread since the beginning, you probably missed.)

My bad. I missed the context indeed; sorry for that!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 50
(1,115 Views)

I guess the knowledge of DOS is fading. 🙂

The old commands of Ctrl+Insert (copy), Shift+Insert (paste), Ctrl+Del (Cut) works in text controls/indicators. 

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 50
(1,104 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

The old commands of Ctrl+Insert (copy), Shift+Insert (paste), Ctrl+Del (Cut) works in text controls/indicators. 

/Y

LOL - Ye Olde Commands.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 50
(1,094 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

/Y

On my keyboard that would mean deactivating the NUM LOCK option: big No No for me.

Plus I think this is not addressing the main issue:

Ctrl-A DOESN'T WORK

Ctrl-C DOESN'T WORK IF NOTHING IS SELECTED

Ctrl-X DOESN'T WORK IF NOTHING IS SELECTED

I wonder how this (doesn't) work(s) on Macs?

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 50
(1,082 Views)

See the second post in this thread for my report on Cmd-C and Cmd-X on the Mac. I see the bug in LV 2012 and 2013. Cmd-A selects all objects on the FP or BD window which is active.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 50
(1,071 Views)

@X. wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

/Y

On my keyboard that would mean deactivating the NUM LOCK option: big No No for me.

Plus I think this is not addressing the main issue:

Ctrl-A DOESN'T WORK

Ctrl-C DOESN'T WORK IF NOTHING IS SELECTED

Ctrl-X DOESN'T WORK IF NOTHING IS SELECTED

I wonder how this (doesn't) work(s) on Macs?

I know, and i agree, i just mention a workaround until the windows standard shortcut works. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 50
(1,062 Views)

Jumping back in to clarify - the CAR (404637) is to address the incorrect behavior of extra characters being added to the text. Ctrl+letter with nothing selected should not write a letter. This is true of Ctrl+A Ctrl+C Ctrl+X etc.

The second issue of how we should handle Ctrl+A is more complex. The Ctrl+A shortcut already selects all objects (front panel or block diagram) and the behavior is consistent regarless of whether or not you are text editing. Personally I could see a use case where in run-mode the shortcut would select all text if you are in a text field. A quick search of the idea exchange found a few similar ideas here and here. I think the discussion of what to do with that shortcut is more appropriate for the idea exchange.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments | Certified LabVIEW Architect 

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 50
(1,034 Views)

All right. I will crosslink the first idea to this thread. The second is good too, but only vaguely related.

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 50
(1,023 Views)