LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X Bug

@JÞB wrote:

Clipboard operations need to expire the same way the dodo did.

You mean the last female clipboard operation going over the cliff to try to grab the last watermelon? (Ice Age 1 or 2, whichever)

Sorry, it's Friday afternoon...

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 50
(1,228 Views)

The clipboard is an effective means for user mediated intra- and inter-process communication.  It is the last resort for programmatic IPC, ie. do not mess with the user's clipboard.  I even resort to temporary files before the clipboard for that.

But, my point is that what LV does in its own house (ie. what developer's use) is far different than what LV-based applications can get away with in the real world.  Try skipping clipboard support in your next app and tell the customer you think the clipboard is too old-fashioned and should go away.   (and if said customer is me, start ducking.  I wouldn't really be throwing something at you, it is just that your head may get in between an object in my hand and the nearest wall).

Message 12 of 50
(1,222 Views)

I read through this thread and I agree that this is a bug. I filed CAR 428102 for it. It is a non-standard behavior compared to other programs that allow ctrl+c or ctrl+x as shortcuts, and as Darin said, this is not a great experience for end users.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Message 13 of 50
(1,209 Views)

Clipboard is marginally effective (and unfairly limited)

But that's not the point I tried to make.  The Point being Ctrl+C Ctrl+V work the way they always worked in LabVIEW.  The mere issue that the behavior (with an empty clipboard) is out of line with other applications just does not register on my "Oh-**bleep**OMeter"

IDN Drivers billed as "Plug-n-Play Project style" that are poorly organized llb's rank higher in my opinion.  Heck, fix the VISA.User Data bug first (and I don't often use that property)  Clean up FTP, bring TDMS Viewer BD into spec, add some of the advanced string functions to the palattes, obsolete the RCM option to "replace case structure with stacked sequence."

R&D has better things to focus on. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 50
(1,169 Views)

Jeff, you will notice that I did not instruct NI to correct this bug ASAP. In fact, if you have a way to actually set the priority of what NI is working on, please let me know, as I would definitely have a long list to submit (not including the one reported in this thread, which is a minor cosmetic annoyance).

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 50
(1,160 Views)

I guess not too many users today are familiar with the old dos-shortcuts of shift-insert, ctrl-insert and shift-delete. This thread remembered me of them, and they work. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 50
(1,075 Views)

Are you kidding?

Until I read this thread, I had never tried ctrl-c or ctrl-x with nothing selected (why would I?).

The level of annoyance that this bug causes is infinitesimal.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 50
(1,053 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Are you kidding?

Until I read this thread, I had never tried ctrl-c or ctrl-x with nothing selected (why would I?).

The level of annoyance that this bug causes is infinitesimal.

Why would you?  Because there are a few programs out there that allow you to Ctrl-a Ctrl-c to quickly copy the entirety of a text block.  Users try that in a LV app and get ac inserted somewhere in the string.  That is how things get pressed with nothing selected.

Some of us endeavor to produce professional, polished software using LV and pay sufficient attention to details to be annoyed by this.  Each little mess that I no longer have to clean up helps going forward.  Bugs that propagate from LV into my programs are more annoying to me than bugs that only get me during development.

Message 18 of 50
(1,044 Views)

I don't get "ac" inserted when I try that.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 50
(1,040 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I don't get "ac" inserted when I try that.

Try it in run mode.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 50
(1,038 Views)