LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior with Report Generation Toolkit. Table does not match array.

Solved!
Go to solution

We are using a Word 2003 document (.doc) as a template for a report summary.  This works fine on the development PC.  It fills out the appropriate fields in the document and fills out the table correctly, as shown in the image below.

However, the same cannot be said on another station.  Although the 2D array is identical, and so is the software to investigate the issue, the table does not get populated correctly.  I have investigated using Word 2010 (.docx) as a template, with the same results.

I have not been able to figure out what is different between the 2 stations and why it does not work on the 2nd station.  I looked for similar issues on the NI website and the only relevant item from Knowledgebase was concerning new lines within the cell, which is not my case.

This is what I get on the 2nd machine:

The array that is sent to the table contains the appropriate data:

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,354 Views)

And, of course the code snippet that was used:

It is a sample code that was used to investigate the issue.  It works like the original code on the original development PC, but it does not work on the other station...

Has anyone seen this bizzare behavior?  If so, how does someone solve it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,352 Views)

Ray,

I'm seeing the same strange behavior with LV2013, Win7 and Word2010 using your snippet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,324 Views)

Thanks Wayne...

Interesting...  but good (??)...  At least it is reproducible..

However, it does shine a light on the possible source of the problem.  The development PC uses Word 2007; whereas the test station has Word 2010.

That seems to be in indication to the root cause.. 

I will focus my search on issues with the Report Generation Tolkit and Word 2010...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,314 Views)

Maybe completely unrelated, but I yesterday got a very similar problem with a plain table indicator. Suddenly the data displayed had no resemblance to the data of a parallel 2D string array indicator or a probe. All values were wrong, in particular, there were empty rows (similar to what you observe). After disconnecting and reconnecting the table terminal, thing started working again. Pure voodoo! Cannot reproduce again. This was 2013sp1.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,309 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray.R

I just discovered this is a known bug, which obviously has not yet been resolved (well... at least up to LV2012SP1).

See these threads:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Problem-with-append-table-and-Word-2010/td-p/1268246

and

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Report-Generation-MS-Word-Table-Bug/m-p/1605170

I will try the proposed workarounds and report back...

Message 6 of 16
(3,304 Views)

The workaround worked..  So anyone having the issue described in this thread is recommended to read both threads that I posted above.  Kudos to David!!

Spoiler
I hate giving myself a "solution", but it may be wise to indentify to others that there is a solution within this thread..  Oh well... I will try not to loose too much sleep over this.. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,298 Views)

A good answer, especially a solution deserves a kudo.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
(3,282 Views)

Thanks Wayne.

The main thing is to find a workaround.  It is a slow workaround, but the table is small and the extra 2 seconds won't have much of an effect.

However, this really needs to be fixed.  I will follow up on it.

RayR

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,253 Views)

I have the same problem where row and columns are mixed up in a word report.    The report does comes out correct with win XP, 2009 toolkit and MS word 2003.

The problem started when upgrade to win7 was required because XP is no longer supported by MS.

With Report Toolkit 2010 = 2010 RGT.exe and MS Word 2010 and Win7 the report is incorrect.

I asked NI for help but have not heard back yet.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,106 Views)