LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counter

How can I simply create a step counter which count from 0 to 9 after I give an input with a switch impulse? (in C its only a IF - THEN structure and in the THEN Part it's x = x+1)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,201 Views)
I have included a VI (in LV 6.0) which will help you if i have understood you correctly. Basically i have wired a switch to change a CASE structure which contains an indicator. This indicator is enclosed in a For loop (to run 10 times) and upon each iteration the numeric is updated.

I hope this helps you..

Kim
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,201 Views)
There are various ways to do this in LabView. Probably the most flexible is with an Event Structure. Probably the simplest is to read the switch in a loop and to increment a counter any time the switch value changes: use shift registers for the switch value (so you can detect when it changes) and for the counter.
See the attached LabView 6.1 example.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,201 Views)
Sorry, after seeing Kim's answer, maybe I misread the question. Kim's case looks fine (a LabView case structure can be used an the equivalent of an if statement).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,201 Views)
Your example, you've send me is nearly that, what I nee. But there is a problem. I wanna use it as a push-button and with each push (only at the time you press the button) the counter should increment +1.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,201 Views)
OK, i've updated the example VI to include a shift register and changed the mechanical action of the push button to 'latch when released' so will reset and the loop will run through again after each press.

Kim
Message 6 of 12
(4,201 Views)
Thank you very much for your help. That is excatly what I need.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,201 Views)
Always great to help..

*smiles*
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,201 Views)

Hi,

I am going to piggyback this thread because it is half of what I'm trying to do.  In addition to the step counter, I am trying to figure out a way to have the counter reset to 1 instead of terminating the while loop.  So the counter would go ...7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3...etc.  And the while loop can simply be terminated with a control.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,671 Views)
Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 03-11-2009 11:20 PM
Message 10 of 12
(3,658 Views)