LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State diagram toolkit

I am writing a program for an ATE product. I inherited a LV state machine design from an older piece of equipment that was written conventionally (without the diagram). I have started to design my new architecture using the State Diagram Toolkit. I like it! I'm assuming I can write/develop subvi's, too with state diagrams. Is this toolkit as truly automatic as it appears? Any drawbacks? Any tips? Anyone have any horror stories? Or cudos from the boss or customer?

Paul
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,858 Views)
The State Machine toolkit is worth every penny if you are going to produce code with many states and with complex next state decisions (not just plain sequential states).  It will lay out your basic code including the while loop, case structure with all state names, and such.  You still have to write your code for each state, but a lot of the mundane work is done for you.  The greater the number of states, the more time it saves you.  I haven't heard any horror stories so far, not to say that one might pop up sometimes.  Try it with a sample of your code, or with a small state machine.  Then once you get the feel of it, you can tackle larger projects with ease.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 2 of 11
(4,849 Views)

Hi Paul,

I am 100% in agreement with Tbob's comments.

See reply # 8 & 9 in this thread

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=112110&requireLogin=False

for more of my comments and thoughts re:the SDE.

The only problems I recall were

1) back in LV7.0 (?) you had to disconnect from the SD if you wanted to build an app from the code.

2) If you upgrade from LV 7.0 to 7.1 the installer had trouble getting the SDE installed.

3) Trying to over-ride the SDE functions (by wiring to any of the SDE enums) would cause an insane object. But I was doing things to confuse the SDE so this makes sense!

THE SDE is great!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 11
(4,840 Views)

While you are in State Diagram it's impossible to change almost anything and if you unlock code from state machine, you can't add state. Is it anything more stupid than these?

With other words, how can you add state and change state of the Enum constant inside State Machine while you are developing your applications.

I'm working with 7.1.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,742 Views)

Unlocking the diagram should only be done if an application needs to be modified and it will NEVER be edited using the SDE ever again.

It is possible to right click on the enum and edit the typedef.

When done save the control and you should be on your way.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 05-19-2006 08:17 AM

Message Edited by Ben on 05-19-2006 08:18 AM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
Message 5 of 11
(4,727 Views)
 Superb

As I'm se, there is a new Type Def for Enum that is in one State Machine. Is it possible that you (in the same way) edit State Machine that is made before these nice Tools? I mean to change Enum constant to Type Def.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,691 Views)

If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the SDE to edit VI's that were created without the SDE.

No you can not do that.

The SDE is similar to the Express VI's and the code produced by the Vision Assistant in that it is "one way only".

To go the other way would be the equivalent of "de-compiling" code.

The following is speculation to attempt to explain the above.

THe SDE uses scripting behind the scenes to edit your code as you indicate by interacting the the SDE diagram window.

It appears to save the enum internal to the VI itself.

The SDE does all of the dirty work involved in making the transitions occur they need to but to do so it needs to track a lot of details.

Again the details are saved inside the VI.

For the SDE to be able to import code of a State Diagram and reverse develp it would first of all require that you developed the SD VI in 100% compatability with the SDE.

Done speculating.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Message 7 of 11
(4,674 Views)

Good afternoon. Where I can find and download State Diagram Toolkit? My disposal version LabVIEW 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,738 Views)

@carlos_Gonzalez wrote:

Good afternoon. Where I can find and download State Diagram Toolkit? My disposal version LabVIEW 2012.

Here

edit: I'm not sure the state chart toolkit is the same thing as the state diagram toolkit..

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,727 Views)

No, they are different.

The State Diagram Editor is no longer supported. I don't know if it works with newer versions but I'm still using it with LV2012.

It was included in the Developer Suite of previous LV versions (up to 8.x ?).

Do you really mean this toolkit ?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,704 Views)