From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone application

Hi,

I tried to build an vi where I inserted an Active X object(Excel document) and run it on another computer who doesn't have Microsoft Excel on it and of course didn't work.
Anyway how to do it?

Regards,
Adrian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,952 Views)
I know you don't want bad news this early in the morning, but ActiveX acts as a communication link between applications. So you must have it installed. I don't think there's any way around it.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 2 of 8
(2,942 Views)
Hi Adrian

As far as I know you have to copy the activex-object to the target computer.
There you have to link your automation refnum control to the activex-object.

Hope this helps.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,940 Views)
Ed,

that's why I asked, how to do it without Active X?

becktho,

I tried like an *.exe program.

Regards,
Adrian

Message Edited by alfa1 on 03-11-2005 09:01 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,935 Views)
I'm sorry - if you use it in an exe-file, I don't know what you could do.

I used ActiveX just in normal vis (not compiled to exe) and was frustrated by the changes I had to make, if the ActiveX component changed.
Ever since I try to avoid using ActiveX.

Up to now with success ;).

Thomas
Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,926 Views)
Ed is absolutely correct. How can you control an external application if the application doesn't exist? Besides having to install the application, you need it to be the same version as the one you did your development with. There are ways around this but it's not exactly trivial. If at all possible, try to use native LabVIEW functions. If you just want to display data, can you use LabVIEW's table indicator?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,921 Views)
We need to know what you are doing with the data in Excel to help you figure out how to do it without Excel.

LabVIEW has a Table and a Multicolum Listbox that can both display data in similar way as Excel. And you can do any math function in LabVIEW that Excel can do.

So, if you can feed us bit more information, we should be able to figure it out.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,917 Views)
I did build an array and looks OK, I don't need Excel anymore.

But to solve that problem:
If I'll build a DLL(Active X container vi) and to transfer the content of the Excel worksheet in an array, I think will work.

Regards,
Adrian
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,902 Views)