From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking shift registers

Solved!
Go to solution

There was an idea several years ago to have an option to stack shift registers:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Compact-Stacked-Shift-Registers/idi-p/1093996

Due to lack of interest this idea was declined.

I am in the process of writing a tool that is going to preform different tasks and due to that I need have quite a few parameters and data to be available at all times.

I use combination of a while loop + event structure. Shift registers store information that I need, and depending on user action I get correct data and perform certain action. I came to a point where I have quite a few of those registers and the block diagram starts getting bit messy.

I consider bundling all of them into one cluster (by name) so I have just one shift register to use and then I can just pick the information I need.

A build in function into event loop/while loop would be a very nice thing, but as I mentioned in the beginning the idea was declined due to lack of interest.

My question is: if you are not interested in stacking shift registers, what kind of solution do you implement or would you suggest in this situation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,255 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niklasson

Bundling the various values together is the right choice. Don't forget to create a typedef for the new cluster(s). 99% of times you will later find yourself regretting not to have done this before.

The proposal referenced in your post is not related to your problem. It refers to the story of previous values in one single shift register.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,246 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niklasson

Bundling related items is the way to go.  I have also gone as far as make my loop's state a class.  But that is probably over kill in most situations.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,212 Views)

I was waiting for that 🙂 My second thought was to play with OOP and classes for storing and fetching data. But for a "tool" project this would be a bit too much I think.

Cluster it is then.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,198 Views)